Pacific Bonsai Expo, Oakland CA, November 12-13, 2022

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, Bjorn and Bill V are the other two judges for the weekend.
Actually, Ryan, Bjorn, and Bill juried the trees for acceptance to the exhibit. Its my understanding that the actual judging will be done by the exhibitors.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
when I didn't hear about this show from GSBF,
Sadly GSBF has fallen on relatively hard times. The combination of covid and some serious internal fraud/theft have hurt. The biggest loss is no more conventions. the replacement is a two day "Bonsai Rendezvous" Focused on vendors. no exhibit, headliners, or banquets.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
On a side note, I don’t know about other bonsai clubs, but Portland’s (BSOP) has been reimbursing members for exhibition fees for accepted trees to the show to encourage folks to participate. We don’t have a big show here in the PNW so we are lending all our support. :)
Thats pretty cool.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Actually, Ryan, Bjorn, and Bill juried the trees for acceptance to the exhibit. Its my understanding that the actual judging will be done by the exhibitors.
Paul is correct, everybody that has a tree in the show votes on the winners of each category

I got my pass too, can't wait!

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
Sadly GSBF has fallen on relatively hard times. The combination of covid and some serious internal fraud/theft have hurt. The biggest loss is no more conventions. the replacement is a two day "Bonsai Rendezvous" Focused on vendors. no exhibit, headliners, or banquets.
Oh man that’s terrible! Hopefully things will come around in the future, or perhaps other conventions will fill the empty niche which seems to already be happening... there is talk of having a PNW convention here in Oregon in the not too different future, so that’s something to keep an ear out for.

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I can answer a few of the lingering questions in this thread, and I'll try to reply. I actually just popped in and saw the banner for the first time.

1. The accepted exhibitors will be the judges for the prizes. And there are going to be some pretty cool prizes in addition to the cash.
2. We are planning to hold the show every two years, on the year alternating from the National in Rochester. At the moment Jonas and I are each working 20-30 hours per week on the show, which is taking a lot of time away from us being able to work on our own businesses and trees.
3. We have considered making the show a non-profit organization, and we may in the future, but it was not a priority in the initial stages to form a 501c3 since this takes time an effort that could instead be devoted to making it a great show.
4. We do not know whether Bill, Ryan and Bjorn will attend the show, but their official function as jurors has concluded - and we have some really great trees coming!
5. We are sad that GSBF is having so much trouble functioning, and this show is not a replacement for the convention. We feel that it is entirely different than events that have happened in California up to this point. The focus is on the quality of the trees and having some great vendors too!

If you have not seen the YouTube videos that we did please check the Bonsaify channel. (They are also available on the BonsaiWire podcast, obviously audio only)
Tickets are now on sale so if you plan to attend get 'em while they're hot! (note that if you are exhibiting or a vendor, you get tickets with your exhibit/sales table fees)
We also did a podcast on "Modern Bonsai" with Joshua Hooson, which you can find on podcasting apps.

As of today we've updated the website with more details. But more information for vendors and exhibitors is still pending additional work.

Cheers,

Eric

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I can answer a few of the lingering questions in this thread, and I'll try to reply.
Hey Eric, I had thought of volunteering and on the front page of the website it says, under Volunteer toward the bottom "if you've got the time, we've got your ticket". But in the FAQ's it says: "Do volunteers need to purchase day or weekend passes to attend the Expo? Yes. Volunteers who work four hours on a given day will receive lunch that day" Can you clarify that situation?

Thanks! Looking forward to the expo!

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hey Eric, I had thought of volunteering and on the front page of the website it says, under Volunteer toward the bottom "if you've got the time, we've got your ticket". But in the FAQ's it says: "Do volunteers need to purchase day or weekend passes to attend the Expo? Yes. Volunteers who work four hours on a given day will receive lunch that day" Can you clarify that situation?

Thanks! Looking forward to the expo!
Hey, yes that has been a point of discussion between myself and a number of the volunteers that are handling volunteer coordination. The FAQ went up a few days ago and I hadn't seen that discrepancy, so thanks.
Let me ask you - what do you think a volunteer who works a half day should receive? (not necessarily on Saturday/Sunday of the show since we also need volunteers in the weeks ahead, and a lot on Thursday/Friday before the show).

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, yes that has been a point of discussion between myself and a number of the volunteers that are handling volunteer coordination. The FAQ went up a few days ago and I hadn't seen that discrepancy, so thanks.
Let me ask you - what do you think a volunteer who works a half day should receive? (not necessarily on Saturday/Sunday of the show since we also need volunteers in the weeks ahead, and a lot on Thursday/Friday before the show).

If it were me I would comp volunteers a single day pass. If the budget is THAT tight, I'd ask any volunteers who could, to donate that $25 back if it's not too much of a burden.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A day pass with a light lunch on the volunteer day sounds about right to me

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Since the update, tickets are currently discounted for $25 single day and $49 for the weekend pass. :)
Correction $25 single day and $40 weekend. Prices will increase as we get to the event. The discounts are to encourage people to purchase tickets in advance, largely to avoid a huge scrum Saturday morning. Advance ticket holders will be scanned in much more quickly than folks needing to purchase tickets. We also have fire-marshall limited attendance, and if any Covid restrictions are created between now and then ticket holders will receive admission in advance of people who just show up the day of.

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
If it were me I would comp volunteers a single day pass. If the budget is THAT tight, I'd ask any volunteers who could, to donate that $25 back if it's not too much of a burden.
The donate back is a good idea (or option to not accept). Though in general isn’t the spirit of volunteering is to not expect ‘compensation’? :/

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
Correction $25 single day and $40 weekend. Prices will increase as we get to the event. The discounts are to encourage people to purchase tickets in advance, largely to avoid a huge scrum Saturday morning. Advance ticket holders will be scanned in much more quickly than folks needing to purchase tickets. We also have fire-marshall limited attendance, and if any Covid restrictions are created between now and then ticket holders will receive admission in advance of people who just show up the day of.
🤦🏻‍♀️ Yes, $40, excuse my ipad fingers. What about discounts until the week or day before the event? I think it will always boil down to locals getting their tickets day of - us out of town folks need to plan ahead so I’m sure most Oregonians will secure tickets before the event. :)

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
🤦🏻‍♀️ Yes, $40, excuse my ipad fingers. What about discounts until the week or day before the event? I think it will always boil down to locals getting their tickets day of - us out of town folks need to plan ahead so I’m sure most Oregonians will secure tickets before the event. :)
We actually may offer the same price the day of - but only to those who purchase the tickets on their phone or at home. (no promises though!) The tickets can be delivered as a PDF or to an Apple wallet for scanning at the door, PDF's do not need to be printed, so if you pull into the (large-FREE) parking lot you might still have a chance. All the ticketing like this is automated, so it reduces the need for volunteers. See how that all fits together?

And just to be up-front for those wondering: Jonas and I both fully expect to lose money on this show. We are not only the primary "volunteers" but we're also on the hook for ALL the expenses. I've spent the last week "volunteering" on backdrop construction/prototyping. Our motivation therefore is not immediate monetary gain. For a decade we have wanted a "National"-level show on the west coast, and with both of us now full-time, no-side-gig, no-other-income-than-bonsai professionals we have no excuses not to make it happen. We were insanely excited about The Artisans Cup, and hoped it might be biennial, but alas no. So you might wonder, what is the motivation? Well, we both feel that building a top-end show will increase interest for people to work with professionals (whether us or others) and this will lead to better trees! And everyone wants to see more and better trees! (maybe I should say I and not speak for Jonas...) We think that holding everyone to a high standard will help many people dream bigger. And a bigger bonsai community is better for all of us.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The donate back is a good idea (or option to not accept). Though in general isn’t the spirit of volunteering is to not expect ‘compensation’? :/

Sure, but it's not really compensation. It's more like, "I drove up to volunteer and would like to see the show while I'm here". I bet most would donate the $25 back, but it's more the approach one makes to attract enough volunteers....

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
Sure, but it's not really compensation. It's more like, "I drove up to volunteer and would like to see the show while I'm here". I bet most would donate the $25 back, but it's more the approach one makes to attract enough volunteers....
I totally get it ! People who want to volunteer would/should do it out of wanting to help out, but appreciation goes a very long way. What about volunteers get a discount at Tokutake Bonsai? Or a free button (can you tell I like my button making machine lol). 😂 @NaoTK

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
@Eric Schrader Do you plan to have demos/speakers at the show?
Nao - we don't anticipate doing demos. But, we are thinking that there will be a discussion/seminar or two each day and that we will also have volunteers running docent tours.
There is a side room to the main room, it's large enough for 30-40 people, maybe more, to sit and have a discussion. I was thinking we would do a Q&A with Jonas and I on the hook for answering questions live.
Other than that, we've thought of a few options but haven't yet ironed them out. I'm guessing that we could get some other professionals who will be there (Peter Tea, Andrew Robson) to do a talk also.
You would think at a little over 12 weeks to go we would have this all ironed out....🤦‍♂️

If anyone has suggestions for seminar-type programming that would happen in the 10am-3pm times during the show we'd be happy to consider suggestions.

Top Bottom