Pacific Bonsai Expo, Oakland CA, November 12-13, 2022

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yes. The octagon is right behind that giant tree that someone put in the room.
Actually, I took that photo and shared it on IG perhaps, but it's funny for sure. A hawthorn that belongs to Jay McDonald. It wont be in the show, but a nice tree.

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Bought my weekend passes a few weeks back for myself and the girlfriend. Excited to attend and maybe get a pot from @NaoTK and @Sansokuu.

I'll probably have on a Bill shirt if anyone wants to say hi 🤪

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK, a small suggestion to improve the show website. I could not find the hours for the show anywhere on the site.....not the home page, not the "plan your visit" page, not the FAQ...To find the hours you have to go to the "tickets" page and actually click on one of the tickets and scroll down.....

Guys, you might have your website guy add the hours to the home page and the FAQ....

By the way, hours are 9-5 on Saturday and 10 - 4 on Sunday.

Last edited:

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Brian - thanks, I've updated the plan your visit page, and noticed also that the actual tickets and the ticket description didn't match for Sunday opening time - which is 9am, not 10am. Everything else is correct.
We are working on planning programming to occur during the middle of the day Saturday and Sunday, but schedule is still TBA.
It is likely that there will be an informal gathering of attendees / vendors etc at the Hyatt House hotel on Friday night, more info to come.

Confirmed vendors (all vendors we're expecting are pre-confirmed but these are the folks that have finalized the process so far)

Tokutake Bonsai / Sansuko Arts
William Valavanis / International Bonsai
Matt Walker / Bonchi Bonsai
Eric and Dory Schrader / Bonsaify
Jonas Dupuich / Bonsai Tonight (tools, supplies, trees etc.)
Austin Heitzman
Andrew Robson / Rakuyo Bonsai
Drew Tucker
Frank Mihalic
Robert Potts / Rough Cut Pottery

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
Confirmed vendors (all vendors we're expecting are pre-confirmed but these are the folks that have finalized the process so far)
Time to put a deadline on returning paperwork! 😆 I filled out our info using my ipad’s edit image function, very handy it even has options to type etc.

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
Vendor List has been updated!! 😍 https://www.pacificbonsaiexpo.com/pages/vendors
Who are you excited about? Oregon represent!!

• Adam Toth
  • Austin Heitzman Furniture (OR), Austin Heitzman: stands, jita
  • Bonchi Bonsai (CA), Matthew Walker: bonsai
  • Bonsaify LLC (CA) Eric and Dory Schrader: bonsai, containers
  • Bonsai Tonight LLC (CA), Jonas Dupuich, CA: bonsai, tools, books
  • Carmen's Nursery (CA), Nancy Schramm: pre-bonsai and accent material
  • Crataegus Bonsai (OR), Michael Hagedorn: bonsai publications
  • Dennis Vojtilla (OR): bonsai
  • Drew Tucker (CA): bonsai, containers
  • Earthwares Bonsai and Kusamono (OR), Vicky Chamberlain: handmade ceramic containers
  • Frank's Custom Jewelry (OH), Frank Mihalic: bonsai-inspired jewelry
  • International Bonsai (NY), William N. Valavanis: bonsai, bonsai publications
  • International Bonsai Mirai LLC (OR), Ryan Neil: bonsai, containers, stands
  • Jay McDonald (CA): bonsai
  • Ki Bonsai Art (CA), Paul Stephan: handmade ceramic containers
  • Kyodai Bonsai (OR), Tri Nguyen: bonsai, containers
  • Left Coast Bonsai (OR), John Eads: bonsai, pre-bonsai
  • Lotus Bonsai Nursery & Gardens (CA), Scott Chadd and Bolet Salvador, bonsai, containers
  • Mendocino Coast Bonsai (CA), Bob Shimon: bonsai, containers
  • Mikel Edwards (CA): handmade ceramics
  • Peter Tea Bonsai, (CA), Peter Tea: bonsai
  • Rakuyo Bonsai (OR), Andrew Robson: bonsai
  • Reel Bonsai (OR), Matt Reel: bonsai
  • Randy Knight (OR): bonsai
  • Rough Cut Pottery (CA), Robert Potts: handmade ceramic containers
  • Sansokuu Arts (OR), Mary J. Lai: handmade ceramic containers
  • Tim Burke (CA): bonsai
  • Tokutake Bonsai (OR), Nao Tokutake: handmade ceramic containers

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Vendor List has been updated!! 😍 https://www.pacificbonsaiexpo.com/pages/vendors
Who are you excited about? Oregon represent!!

• Adam Toth
  • Austin Heitzman Furniture (OR), Austin Heitzman: stands, jita
  • Bonchi Bonsai (CA), Matthew Walker: bonsai
  • Bonsaify LLC (CA) Eric and Dory Schrader: bonsai, containers
  • Bonsai Tonight LLC (CA), Jonas Dupuich, CA: bonsai, tools, books
  • Carmen's Nursery (CA), Nancy Schramm: pre-bonsai and accent material
  • Crataegus Bonsai (OR), Michael Hagedorn: bonsai publications
  • Dennis Vojtilla (OR): bonsai
  • Drew Tucker (CA): bonsai, containers
  • Earthwares Bonsai and Kusamono (OR), Vicky Chamberlain: handmade ceramic containers
  • Frank's Custom Jewelry (OH), Frank Mihalic: bonsai-inspired jewelry
  • International Bonsai (NY), William N. Valavanis: bonsai, bonsai publications
  • International Bonsai Mirai LLC (OR), Ryan Neil: bonsai, containers, stands
  • Jay McDonald (CA): bonsai
  • Ki Bonsai Art (CA), Paul Stephan: handmade ceramic containers
  • Kyodai Bonsai (OR), Tri Nguyen: bonsai, containers
  • Left Coast Bonsai (OR), John Eads: bonsai, pre-bonsai
  • Lotus Bonsai Nursery & Gardens (CA), Scott Chadd and Bolet Salvador, bonsai, containers
  • Mendocino Coast Bonsai (CA), Bob Shimon: bonsai, containers
  • Mikel Edwards (CA): handmade ceramics
  • Peter Tea Bonsai, (CA), Peter Tea: bonsai
  • Rakuyo Bonsai (OR), Andrew Robson: bonsai
  • Reel Bonsai (OR), Matt Reel: bonsai
  • Randy Knight (OR): bonsai
  • Rough Cut Pottery (CA), Robert Potts: handmade ceramic containers
  • Sansokuu Arts (OR), Mary J. Lai: handmade ceramic containers
  • Tim Burke (CA): bonsai
  • Tokutake Bonsai (OR), Nao Tokutake: handmade ceramic containers
That's quite the impressive line-up.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I haven't read or listened to everything but I was wondering if there will be trees from outside of California? If so, what is the process for bringing trees into the state for the show?

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
I haven't read or listened to everything but I was wondering if there will be trees from outside of California? If so, what is the process for bringing trees into the state for the show?
Quite a number of trees coming in from Oregon. From vendors, Randy Knight is bringing in trees, as are John Eads, Kyodai Bonsai, Rakuyo, Mirai etc. I know a number of exhibitors are from Oregon too. There are certain species not allowed into the state, but the ones that can come in go through agricultural inspections. I believe they also need permits but I’m fuzzy on those details. Maybe something they can discuss in a podcast if they haven’t yet (I haven’t finished listening to the one just dropped!)

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Quite a number of trees coming in from Oregon. From vendors, Randy Knight is bringing in trees, as are John Eads, Kyodai Bonsai, Rakuyo, Mirai etc. I know a number of exhibitors are from Oregon too. There are certain species not allowed into the state, but the ones that can come in go through agricultural inspections. I believe they also need permits but I’m fuzzy on those details. Maybe something they can discuss in a podcast if they haven’t yet (I haven’t finished listening to the one just dropped!)
As an accepted exhibitor you would be receiving this information from the organizers. However, it is each person's responsibility to adhere to agricultural regulations.
Among the list of No-no's is - No citrus or persimmon of any kind can come in. That includes Kinzu and princess persimmon unfortunately. Folks who are already in CA can bring persimmon, but. Kinzu is not allowed to move across county lines even.
There are many other regulations. They are summarized at the bottom of the entries page, which is still live, but only in the bottom nav:

Excerpting it here for your convenience:

Agricultural requirements for out of state submissions​

Phytosanitary certificates stating that trees are free from pests or diseases are required for all trees entering California. Contact your local agricultural department to schedule an appointment for obtaining phytosanitary certificates.

Additional state or species specific requirements:

• All persimmon (Dyospyros): entry prohibited.
  • All citrus including fortunella, murraya, poncirus, aeglopsis and afraegle: no entry.
  • All plums from CT, DE, IL, IN, KY, MD, MA, MI, NJ, NY, NC, OH, PA, RI, SC, TN, VA, WV, DC: entry prohibited.
  • All walnut, butternut, hickory, or pecan from OR, WA, ID, UT, AZ, NV: entry prohibited.
  • Any plant with fruit or berries from all states east of and including ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, TX, and parts of UT must have certification of treatment for plum curculio and blueberry maggot.
  • Any plant with fruit or berries from FL or PR must have certification of treatment for Caribbean fruit fly.
  • Any Chestnut, Chinquapin, Oak, and Tanbark Oak require inspection or certification of treatment for Chestnut Bark and Oak Wilt Disease.
  • Any wild or domesticated cherry tree with fruit from ID, MT, NM, OR, UT, WA, CO require certification of treatment for cherry fruit fly.
Please review the complete requirements from the State of California for details.

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
No citrus or persimmon of any kind can come in. That includes Kinzu and princess persimmon unfortunately.
Which is such a shame since Dennis is vending - he has a huge princess persimmon collection he is downsizing and I’m sure he would have brought some if not for the restrictions! Nao may have picked out all the best ones by now though. 😂

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Nao - we don't anticipate doing demos. But, we are thinking that there will be a discussion/seminar or two each day and that we will also have volunteers running docent tours.
There is a side room to the main room, it's large enough for 30-40 people, maybe more, to sit and have a discussion. I was thinking we would do a Q&A with Jonas and I on the hook for answering questions live.
Other than that, we've thought of a few options but haven't yet ironed them out. I'm guessing that we could get some other professionals who will be there (Peter Tea, Andrew Robson) to do a talk also.
You would think at a little over 12 weeks to go we would have this all ironed out....🤦‍♂️

If anyone has suggestions for seminar-type programming that would happen in the 10am-3pm times during the show we'd be happy to consider suggestions.
I'm so pumped for this exhibit! Huge amount of respect for @Eric Schrader and Jonas for putting this on!

I've always appreciated hearing multiple critiques and ask me anything style panel discussions. While I'm a fan of the members choice award systems, it would also be fun to hear from a panel of Bonsai Pro's about their top 5-10 personal favorite trees and why. This would give a fun contrast and comparison to the members choice awards.

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Weekend passes are sold out! 😱 !!
Just a heads up - At present we are nearing capacity for Saturday. We've sold more weekend passes than we expected and would like to encourage those who do not yet have tickets to come on Sunday rather than Saturday.

We plan to have two programs on Sunday for those interested, still TBA.

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
Just a heads up - At present we are nearing capacity for Saturday. We've sold more weekend passes than we expected and would like to encourage those who do not yet have tickets to come on Sunday rather than Saturday.

We plan to have two programs on Sunday for those interested, still TBA.
I needed to get an additional weekend pass for a critical table helper, should I get two single day passes? 😭

Top Bottom