Pacific Bonsai Museum book

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently got a copy of the Pacific Bonsai Museum's "A Gallery of Trees: Living Art of the Pacific Bonsai Museum."

Impressive (but expensive) 230-page history of the museum and extremely detailed backgrounds of 30 of its premier trees. Photos of the trees from the times before the museum obtained them through today--

If you can swing the $85 price tag, well worth money --

Attachments

• book.jpg
    book.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 30

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently got a copy of the Pacific Bonsai Museum's "A Gallery of Trees: Living Art of the Pacific Bonsai Museum."

Impressive (but expensive) 230-page history of the museum and extremely detailed backgrounds of 30 of its premier trees. Photos of the trees from the times before the museum obtained them through today--

If you can swing the $85 price tag, well worth money --
Yeah I followed the Kickstarter campaign to receive mine. Def worth it. Makes me want to get up there and see them in person that much more. Not a huge bonus, but mine came with a really cool pack of postcards as artistic renderings of the trees.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is very well done. Haven't seen a book quite like it. I wish the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum would do something along the same lines--historical content, old photos, even background on artists. The Pacific Museum is different from the National museum, in that it bought the trees in its exhibits for the most part, many through Weyerhaeuser's support. That allowed them to get select trees from many sources--The National museum mostly relies on donated trees--It's core is the dozens of trees from the Japanese government given as a gift. The dynamics of each have strengths and weaknesses...

As an example of the book's treatment of artists and trees, here's the piece on a Nick Lenz larch (there are 29 more profiles with similar info and tree progressions):

Attachments

• book1.jpg
    book1.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 26
  • book2.jpg
    book2.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Top Bottom