Pacific Madrone Experiment # 1

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Pacific Madrone is one of those plants that has a bad reputation for transplanting and root work. I simply don’t see them used in bonsai yet. While they are a different genus, (Arbutus) than Manzanita, (Arctostaphylos), in a number of ways they share similar traits. I wanted to see if some of the techniques I’ve had success with on Manzanita would work with Madrone. I like to start with small nursery material. Younger well started plants seem more able to deal with the stress and I’m not out of much if things don’t work. I acquired this Madrone in a 1gallon pot. Note the warning at the top of the label in caps. Guess I know what I’m getting into!
9055F5DF-1304-4384-ABDE-BA1E44EE11B4.jpeg

Slipped out of the pot to see root ball. I successfully barefooted some Manzanita last fall. But started a little earlier. Some of the new root growth here is 3-4” long. Note how the roots are almost transparent like Manzanita’s are. Very fragile.
2D6C3B12-4FA0-4121-863D-0D8001BCD48A.jpeg

Barerooting started. The soil used was a fine fir bark, sawdust mix. This is breaking down quickly. It will create the soggy, anaerobic conditions that typically doom these plants if they remain in it. I’ll be removing as much of this nursery mix as possible.
E93EFC35-1530-4EEB-A07B-EF191D6B370E.jpeg

The tree fully barefooted. I use a chopstick to poke and gently vibrate the soil out. This is what I do with Manzanitas successfully. It is slow, delicate work. I avoid pulling and tearing roots as much as possible. The result is a pretty intact root system with little roots in the soil removed.

654DB548-A654-4F6B-B830-850B57E12F45.jpeg
Repotting in a pond basket. I’m using my regular mix I use for pines with this one. I use the chopstick to gently vibrate soil thru the root mass. I’m fine with roots coming up through the soil as I fill as there is less chance of matting. I simply cover them with more soil and continue the chop sticking.
B852C860-6C60-4F65-818E-E0A577A04534.jpeg

Finished. This one will spend winter in the greenhouse. I’m optimistic but will know better by mid spring next year if I passed or failed. I kept the nursery tag on as a reminder of accepted opinion of the risk. I plan to update this thread next year.
E4DD7C9D-1887-415C-B2E4-5AEDD2B6E0E0.jpeg

Last edited:

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes. I’ve successfully repotted young Manzanita using this technique in both spring and fall.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have not had problems root pruning or repotting Arbutus over here. I grow Irish strawberry - Arbutus unedo and Canary Island strawberry - Arbutus canariensis. Both seem quite happy with root reduction and both will shoot back from bare wood. Root pruning in early spring here but I guess other times would be OK too.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I’ve always thought Manzanita had perfect traits for bonsai; small leaves, amazing deadwood, fantastic bark color etc. Unfortunately, they apparently don’t tolerate root pruning at all. Bummer.
Madrone are super cool trees also. We saw some amazing ones camping this weekend. Good luck with your experiments and keep us posted on your results.

Attachments

• 24478A6C-48B6-46AD-A15C-E705A408F7E6.jpeg
    24478A6C-48B6-46AD-A15C-E705A408F7E6.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 150

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
I have not had problems root pruning or repotting Arbutus over here. I grow Irish strawberry - Arbutus unedo and Canary Island strawberry - Arbutus canariensis. Both seem quite happy with root reduction and both will shoot back from bare wood. Root pruning in early spring here but I guess other times would be OK too.

A. unedo, called Strawberry Tree in the US, is used quite a bit in landscaping here and doesn’t seem to have the issues that have plagued Pacific Madrone in the nursery trade. I’m not familiar with A. canariensis. There is a hybrid now available here called Marina. Evidently a cross between Pacific Madrone and Strawberry Tree. Not as large as Pacific, but more resistant to root fungus and transplanting issues. I repotted a small one last fall pictured below. It is holding its own.
892EB648-52C5-49F0-9EF9-2228E2FBC493.jpeg

NHATIVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very much looking forward to this one as well... My favorite tree.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Beautiful tree! (Madrone) How I miss them and manzanita! Formerly lived in Glen Ellen. I would seriously consider layering both, ground and air.

sudopudge

Seed
Reaction score
Hey Arcto, any news on how your madrone handled the winter?

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey Arcto, any news on how your madrone handled the winter?

Sudopudge, welcome to the forum. So far the Madrone looks fine. Some leaf spot as they all get over the winter. The buds look healthy and are enlarging a little, in sync with the native Madrone here. 308AB5CF-A8D1-4C43-A56B-09D749925616.jpeg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I collected seed from 3 different sites. This spring would have been their third year --> all died from this. I figured that something would survive without my interference, but nature's course is sometimes brutal. I did discover that leaf size isn't much smaller by keeping them smaller, which satisfied most of my interest. I still love 'em, though.

Madrone, rhymes with Patrone (unless you're a native Washingtonian --> they are mah-drone-uh).

Enjoy, and keep posting, @Arcto !

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is a landscape madrone I transplanted from a 3-4 year old sapling I collected from next to a looking road 15 or so years ago.

They have very complex and obligate mycorrhizal associations, where there is other madrone it has a higher transplant survival rate. Also when transplanted in the root zone of a Douglas fir it does better.

I transplanted 4 and the one by the Doug was the only one that lived.

Lignotuber is starting to form!

Attachments

• 0E62F2DB-C536-42CC-A8C7-B10696F62EDC.jpeg
    0E62F2DB-C536-42CC-A8C7-B10696F62EDC.jpeg
    398.8 KB · Views: 115

NHATIVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Any update on this one? Did it do well this growing season?

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Any update on this one? Did it do well this growing season?
It did fine. Put on new growth. Some leaf spot that these always seem to have. Wired it the end of summer then removed it last week as I didn’t want scarring. Will rewire then put it in the greenhouse for the winter.
6800A08B-50E1-459E-816C-7B5EE3330791.jpeg

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks Stu. Hope your trees are safely tucked in for the winter.

Top Bottom