Pacific Northwest Yamadori

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hello, I thought some here might be interested in looking at some trees from the Pacific Northwest.
I was over at a friend’s garden discussing some of his trees and potential plans for the future. He has a large collection of Yamadori, which contains many 4 hand trees, some 6 hand and a few 8. He was getting a few of them ready for work and while we were moving them, he told me that he hardly takes any progress photos and doesn’t venture into the on-line forums/blogs. So, I wanted to start this thread and then update it overtime.
This first one is a yellow Cedar (Alaskan Yellow Cedar, Cypress) Callitropsis nootkatensis. It is very old, with great bark and deadwoods features.PWYc1_resize.jpgPWYcback1 (2).jpgPWYcbarkanddeadwood_.jpgPWYcfront (2).jpgPWYcsideA1 (2).jpg

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Second Post

Here are a few of the Shore Pine that my friend was getting ready to work on. Some of the pine has really thick almost corklike bark, very dense and thick indicating lots of age. For scale I used the "Canuck" lighter (3"/8cm).
PWPl#3.jpgPWPl#3back.jpgPWPl#3barkdetail.jpg

Attachments

• PWPl#1.jpg
    PWPl#1.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 74
  • PWPl#2.jpg
    PWPl#2.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 70

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is a Mountain Hemlock that has really filled out nicely. Plans call for a re-shaping asap and a new pot next spring.
Cheers
Graham

Attachments

• PWHm.jpg
    PWHm.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 91

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Beautiful, thank your friend for allowing you to share them with us. The first shore pine is awesome.
I can't imagine having trees as big as an 8 hander...

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Nice yamadori!

BOOO CANUCKS!

:)

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Excellent examples of the great material we have around here.... lucky you that you live so close to it :) :)

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Erik, these are from PW's garden. He's got a great collection with many stories behind them that involve Dan. ;)

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Erik, these are from PW's garden. He's got a great collection with many stories behind them that involve Dan. ;)

I thought they might be his.... especially when you mentioned the size....

Top Bottom