pacific rim collection

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
I've lived in Oregon for 8 years - been to seattle at least 10 times - and I finally got to see what they have at the pacific rim bonsai collection. What's there is amazing! well worth getting lost for 20min before I could find the place. Here are a few...

sorry no more pictures

i'll post a link later so the pictures can be viewed elsewhere

Last edited:

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Just a word of caution here.... When I was there a few months ago they told me that I can take pictures but do not post them on the internet. The lady told me that they will track down and take action for doing so. I have over 200 photos from there but can't post them. If it were me I would delete this post and enjoy the pictures in private.

That is why Walter Pall never posted his pictures from his visit there in June.....

Jason

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Just a word of caution here.... When I was there a few months ago they told me that I can take pictures but do not post them on the internet. The lady told me that they will track down and take action for doing so. I have over 200 photos from there but can't post them. If it were me I would delete this post and enjoy the pictures in private.

That is why Walter Pall never posted his pictures from his visit there in June.....

Jason

Hmmm. That makes sense I suppose if you say it fast. After all they are not "our" trees. Do they charge admission or is this a collection open to the public for free as a gesture?

I can't say I agree with the thinking that "the lady" spoke of at all. The trees are works of art for sure but the photo, your photos are yours and you are the intended copyright holder of those images. Do with them as you like.

Back to the free or charged admission thing. If you are charged admission and you receive a hard copy ticket or stub such a rule or regulation (or request) would have to be printed in large enough letters to be easily read. It should also be posted in plain view of the general public in the form of a sign. I know this as I have had to enforce it on shoots and other production sites. Nothing like taking someone's camera and deleting all of the photos that have or erasing the video they just shot and handing it back.

I say post the photos. Post them all. Let them track you down. Let the chips fall wherever they fall. Perhaps they should invest in some signs that clearly state what is allowed. I would also join the ACLU...

Oh - if they are tree photo control freaks I seriously doubt I will ever go if I am in town. Way to share the art and beauty of bonsai with us. Sorry if this sounds negative but stuff like this ruffle my feathers.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
thank you for the warning - I don't who "the lady" might be but admission is free, photography is allowed, and these are my photos so I'm not violating any copyright.

I guess the only way they can restrict pictures being diffused on the internet is to restrict picture being taken - if they allow that then they shouldn't be allowed to restrict what I do with the pictures.

But if this means that someday they'll restrict cameras in the park because of me posting these pictures - i'll take them down.

Here's a question - if I post them on a peronal site and post the link to that site - this forum would not be involved for hosting the pictures. I guess I could do that and face the consequence if there are any (i'm not too concerned)

Again thanks for the advice

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
This should clarify things for the time being - as far as I know I'm not using this for commercial purposes...

http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/aboutus/whereweoperate/bonsaicollection/visitus/

From the webiste -

Please Note:

The Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection values the safety and comfort of all of its visitors. We respectfully ask that all visitors assist us in maintaining those values by following our guidelines:

While visiting the Collection please refrain from touching the plants or walking in planted areas.

The Collection is a smoke-free environment and we discourage the use of cell phones and electronic games or toys.

There is no picnicking allowed at the Collection. Maps of neighboring parks and restaurants are available in the Rhododendron gift shop.

Pets are not allowed in the Collection. Service dogs are allowed when wearing an identifying blanket.

Personal, non-professional photography is allowed. Each bonsai display is owned by Weyerhaeuser Company and is protected by copyright laws. To photograph the Collection or use images for commercial use, please contact Curator, David De Groot at 253-924-5206.

Anyway, I'll be cautious and try to contact them sometime this weekend.
thanks Jason

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey Guys.

I didn't mean to ruffle anyones feathers, I was simply relaying a message. I was told by "The lady" who was working in the gift store that it is fine to take pictures but for personal use, not for commercial use or posting on the internet. He reasoning was they are some of the best trees in America and they only want professional pictures taken that portray the tree in its best.
I was fine with that, I have a very nice camera and my pictures came out awesome but respect thier wishes and haven't posted them.

So, I guess this is a fuzzy topic and all I wanted to do was throw a word of caution out there. Personally I don't care if the pictures get posted but since this is a local guy I thought I would say something.

FWIW, Jason

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
cool - i guess i don't have to post anything

it's interesting - half of the trees shown by Walter Pall weren't there when I visited - do they rotate trees on display???

Aloha31520

Seedling
Reaction score
David de Groot

David, the curator of the collection is one of the finest people in Bonsai today. Extremely ingratining and when he does a demo you should see the sawdust fly.
Bob (missing the NW)

Top Bottom