Page filling ads, not cool

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
When I visit bonsainut on my mobile phone browser, I prefer to keep the ads on as a means of helping the forum generate some income.

But now I'm getting full page ads before I can open threads. I think this sucks.

Screenshot_20210309_125214_com.android.chrome.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That's not supposed to happen. Let me check into it.

I'm not in control of the ad creative that Google serves users, rather I create the frame dimensions and the ads are supposed to stay within those frames. I have never enabled pop-up or full-page site ads.

EDIT: I have just checked on several Android phones and tablets - both logged in and unlogged - and I am not seeing any pop-up ads. I will have to explore further to see what might be going on. It might have something to do with Google services in the EU. Google has been making changes in order to stay compliant with EU requests, and it is a little more difficult for me to see what is going on because we don't get exactly the same service here in the US.

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
firefox / windows 10 on PC and as of today I am getting at random popup advertisements on the site too. Indeed, annoying. Also as the popups somehow seem to be below my cursor every time.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
firefox / windows 10 on PC and as of today I am getting at random popup advertisements on the site too. Indeed, annoying. Also as the popups somehow seem to be below my cursor every time.
Thanks for responding. Hopefully others will comment as well - particularly if the only people having the issue live in the EU.

EDIT It appears that it might be an EU thing. Google is using a different set of ad providers in the EU than in the US. Looks like someone might be serving bad ads - configured for full page or pop-up when they should be restricted to responsive formatting frames. When you see a pop-up ad, can you take a screenshot, or provide the ad name?

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I got 2 of these this AM also. At first I thought I accidentally tapped an ad, but the second time I know it popped up when I tapped the Home button, I’ll screen shot it if I can reproduce it. iPad, safari browser, current iOS.

edit...here you go:
23C493AA-B412-4C62-88EC-941C53453E7E.png

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
As an IT guy I say this may be caused be @Wires_Guy_wires's Internet provider injecting ads. Or some ad-serving application hidden in the phone - that's even more likely.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As an IT guy I say this may be caused be @Wires_Guy_wires's Internet provider injecting ads. Or some ad-serving application hidden in the phone - that's even more likely.
I get them at home using xfinity but not at work using (not sure our isp) so you may be into something. I realize I’m a small sample size but just sayin...

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I got 2 of these this AM also. At first I thought I accidentally tapped an ad, but the second time I know it popped up when I tapped the Home button, I’ll screen shot it if I can reproduce it. iPad, safari browser, current iOS.

edit...here you go:

On the same device can you check to see if you can get pop-ups to show up on other sites? Or is it only on bonsainut? I can't get pop-ups to show up on any of my devices.

My ISP is Spectrum.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
On the same device can you check to see if you can get pop-ups to show up on other sites? Or is it only on bonsainut? I can't get pop-ups to show up on any of my devices.

My ISP is Spectrum.
Only on BNut. I’m also on Spectrum.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Happened again from the home page when I tapped “view more...” at the bottom right. Closing the ad seems to redirect you back to the home page from wherever you are.
97C56AFC-42E2-404D-8AB0-38D02B0A2928.png

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ok... still looking. Can't figure it out (yet) but if it is happening here we can't be the only site on the Internet it is happening to. I certainly didn't make any changes to our ads or ad settings in the last several months.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do get them in Chrome on Android in EU.
And only on BNut.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s literally never happened before until right after I checked out this actual thread

P.S. iPhone, safari browser, not sure if that’s relevant 57BE2F33-52E1-4972-B4B7-899538B8E2EF.png

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Me too, I clicked to get out of this thread and got one:

Ad.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did y'all click the link in the text that says you are the winner of the Airpod raffle on Amazon?

You're not supposed to click dem links!

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is extremely frustrating. I've got the site open on my PC, two phones and a tablet. I'm logging in and out, clearing the cache, and I can't get any pop-ups.

Without clicking the links, when you mouse over the ad, you should be able to see the actual web link that it will take you to. Does the link start with:

https://www.googleadservices.com/ ?

If so, what does it say afterwards? If someone can get a screenshot of the link - even if it is a photo of the screen - that would be extremely helpful. It will be a ton of characters.

Top Bottom