Page filling ads, not cool

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ok the plot thickens. That is my publisher ID. So at least we know it isn't some sort of adware / malware. Google is serving pop-up ads to the site under my publisher ID even though they are not supposed to. Who knows where the revenue is going(?)

I am going to contact Google and see if I can straighten things out.

Strange that they should just start showing up out of the blue.
I tried refreshing my google ad ID to another random ID. But the same ads keep showing.
If we use the three dots on the left (on mobile at least) we can report the ad to google. But the options to choose from don't include "annoying".

They show up at bonsainut.com/#google_vignette
But when I visit that page it's just the homepage. I'll give it a shot on my pc tonight, see what happens when I blacklist that specific page.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
FIXED!

Without my knowledge, Google decided to run an "experiment" on the web site, showing pop-up ads to 50% of the users. Even though I had "Auto Ads" turned "OFF", they decided to run a 90 day experiment turning them on(!) I had a setting turned on deep down inside my options that allows Google to optimize all our responsive ads... and when they introduced vignette ads they expanded the definition of auto optimize to include vignette ads... and applied it even when you had vignette ads turned off.

The test started today and was going to run for 90 days but it is now turned off. I would never have found it without all your sleuthing! That little purple flask next to the site name was the only way I knew that Google was running an "experiment" and pissing off 50% of our members!

experiment1.jpg

experiment2.jpg

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Google is really messing up their setup.
THey switched on automated placements on my site without asking messing up the layout to the point the navigation did not work anymore. Insane.

Great that you found it!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just out of curiosity, how much revenue can be generated with Google ads? When I get my site up and running I am contemplating should I run some ads or not to help cover the costs of the site itself.

Please PM me if you don't feel comfortable discussing in public, thanks

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just out of curiosity, how much revenue can be generated with Google ads?
I run very inaggressive adds on my website. It brings about 1 euro per 1000 pageviews. What you get paid for is the number of clicks on adds. That is about 10-20 cts per click.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I run very inaggressive adds on my website. It brings about 1 euro per 1000 pageviews. What you get paid for is the number of clicks on adds. That is about 10-20 cts per click.
Cool, do you want me to visit your site and click a bunch of ads :D? I am using GoDaddy and for webmail service that's an additional cost on top of everything else. If I can get that cost covered through the site, it might be worth it to run ads like your site.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hehe! That just got you some clicks FOR SURE!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool, do you want me to visit your site and click a bunch of ads :D? I am using GoDaddy and for webmail service that's an additional cost on top of everything else. If I can get that cost covered through the site, it might be worth it to run ads like your site.
I need to tell you that I do not want you to go click on adds on my site on purpose. Google really does not like these sort of friendly services.

Google
Knows
Everything

:eek:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That’s what I did!
😂
Thanks. So that gets me a beer, yet my site gets banned!

🤪

But really, they keep sooo many statistics.. I am sure there is an algorythm checking whether there is non-random clicking. I KNOW they track whether I click myself.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I need to tell you that I do not want you to go click on adds on my site on purpose. Google really does not like these sort of friendly services.

Google
Knows
Everything

...whoops!

UN-click!

UN-CLICK!!!

(HEHE.. i actually only clicked TWICE.... I figured it was SOMEWHAT monitored.. at least by IP)
;)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am using GoDaddy and for webmail service that's an additional cost on top of everything else. If I can get that cost covered through the site, it might be worth it to run ads like your site.
For me, it is roughly break-even. It certainly is not an income generator for me.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Google
Knows
Everything

I am sure they are tracking by IP with those clicks.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just out of curiosity, how much revenue can be generated with Google ads? When I get my site up and running I am contemplating should I run some ads or not to help cover the costs of the site itself.

Please PM me if you don't feel comfortable discussing in public, thanks

It is all based on traffic. For a bonsai site, traffic is pretty low, compared to, for example, a web site for cooks, or a web site that follows pro sports. Google changed how they target ads now so that they tend to serve ads personally to your interests (in general) instead of just to the content of the site you happen to be on right now. Previously I used to limit ads on this site to just ads that applied to bonsai, or gardening, or greenhouses... etc. Now I have no idea what ads anyone sees.

Hosting ads doesn't hurt, as long as you restrain yourself and don't host so many ads that you alienate your members. I think most people are ok with a couple ads if they know they are covering costs for the site. However, don't plan on getting rich :) I lost money on this site for the first ten years that I hosted it - even when I worked for free. But that is because I know a fair amount about tech. If I had to hire someone to help... it would be a black hole. Always remember - your hosting costs are just as variable as your ad revenues. Every time you increase traffic so that your ads start to pay a little more, your hosting costs go up another $1000 :)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For me if the ads can just cover the website and whatever add-ons I would be more than happy with that.
It really depends on what you are offering on the site, the traffic it gets and how clicky your visitors are.

Better revenue in reselling products through affiliate links. But that is work to to keep up with.
If I look at my revenue from my sites the last 12 years, I may just cover the hosting. My time will never get covered unless my traffic increases tenfold. And I am not willing to put in the time needed to get it there. I rather work my trees. I should really post one item each day, instead of every 2 weeks :)

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For me if the ads can just cover the website and whatever add-ons I would be more than happy with that.
Don't bet on it... at least not starting out. And again it is important to remember that you'll be working for free, even if you start to cover hosting costs. If I wanted to make money, I'd make more working at McDonald's than running this site :)

Last edited:

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is all based on traffic. For a bonsai site, traffic is pretty low, compared to, for example, a web site for cooks, or a web site that follows pro sports. Google changed how they target ads now so that they tend to serve ads personally to your interests (in general) instead of just to the content of the site you happen to be on right now. Previously I used to limit ads on this site to just ads that applied to bonsai, or gardening, or greenhouses... etc. Now I have no idea what ads anyone sees.

Hosting ads doesn't hurt, as long as you restrain yourself and don't host so many ads that you alienate your members. I think most people are ok with a couple ads if they know they are covering costs for the site. However, don't plan on getting rich :) I lost money on this site for the first ten years that I hosted it - even when I worked for free. But that is because I know a fair amount about tech. If I had to hire someone to help... it would be a black hole. Always remember - your hosting costs are just as variable as your ad revenues. Every time you increase traffic so that your ads start to pay a little more, your hosting costs go up another $1000 :)
Thanks for the reply. The ads I get here on the site are mostly random stuff that I have really no interest about. Sometimes an ad pops up about something I previous searched on Google. I'm guessing size of the ad frame and location like on the index would vary the amount for the ad?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It really depends on what you are offering on the site, the traffic it gets and how clicky your visitors are.

Better revenue in reselling products through affiliate links. But that is work to to keep up with.
If I look at my revenue from my sites the last 12 years, I may just cover the hosting. My time will never get covered unless my traffic increases tenfold. And I am not willing to put in the time needed to get it there. I rather work my trees. I should really post one item each day, instead of every 2 weeks :)
I just went to your site and you had an ad on there to an actual nursery that I've visited numerous times.......and yes, i just made you .20euro cents! ;)

Top Bottom