Pair 'O Mugo

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Pumilio to be exact.
@Vance Wood
I'm going to clean them up a bit, but any advise would be great in refrence to wiring and root reduction.
I'm thinking I'm still ok to do some wiring now, and maybe cut the rootball down after locating the nebari....?
Then cut back new growth in late June....?
Or one or the other....?
20190528_160720.jpg20190528_160753.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Awe man.....what a bummer.....
Raked off some soil and dead stuff from the top of the first one and found what I think is 3 Robin eggs.... Weird.
Dont they usually build nests?
20190528_161937.jpg20190528_161926.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@Lazylightningny compiled a ton of @Vance Wood's info into a site resource HERE that's super helpful for steps and timing on mugos. I picked up a pair of mugos this spring as well and am planning to follow that guide.
Indeed. A great reference.
Thanks for the reminder!

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Those look like they could be Killdeer eggs. We have three of them in a nest in our yard right now. They nest by making a shallow bowl on the ground rather than in trees. Maybe contact an animal sanctuary in your area if you want to try to save them.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Those look like they could be Killdeer eggs. We have three of them in a nest in our yard right now. They nest by making a shallow bowl on the ground rather than in trees. Maybe contact an animal sanctuary in your area if you want to try to save them.
What ever they are, I assume they're long gone.
It would seem that they came from the nursery, then the tree was shipped to the Box Store for their Memorial Day Sale.

Edit: I see that they aren't Robin eggs, they're solid blue.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would not wire them in summer, because they love slipping off some bark. If it's bikini season for us, it's bikini season for them as well.
Repotting in summer hasn't been succesful for me, despite what other people experience. Spring is king in my yard.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would not wire them in summer, because they love slipping off some bark. If it's bikini season for us, it's bikini season for them as well.
Repotting in summer hasn't been succesful for me, despite what other people experience. Spring is king in my yard.
This is quite interesting because I recall Hans Van Meer cussing Vance Wood because his mugo died when he repotted it in summer instead of spring. My climate is not that dissimilar from yours/his and yet the only mugo I've ever killed was by attempting to repot it in spring instead of summer. Curious.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This is quite interesting because I recall Hans Van Meer cussing Vance Wood because his mugo died when he repotted it in summer instead of spring. My climate is not that dissimilar from yours/his and yet the only mugo I've ever killed was by attempting to repot it in spring instead of summer. Curious.
Likewise.
Edit: I think its a 50/50 chance of survival if full bare rooting with a hose.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You are referring to "The Swan". That was an exceptional tree by all means.
If anyone is interested in some photos of it until it was dead here is a link to the old IBC where there had been a conversation on the subject. http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t4248-last-pictures-of-my-mugo-pine-the-swan

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think its a 50/50 chance of survival if full bare rooting with a hose.
All of my mugos were old nursery stock but for one that was a field grown b&b. I completely bare rooted every one of them in August/September with the assistance of a hose. Every one of them thrived (6 that I can clearly recall, but I think I have had a total of 7 at one time or another). All went directly into Turface MVP (which I don't think explains anything).

btw, one subsequently died when, after 3 years, I repotted it in the spring. Another died after about 5 years because of 'hormone therapy' I administered. The third died because of root damage from being poorly secured into the pot and my attempts at styling in the dead of winter (i.e., extensive root damage during dormancy). The forth was a victim of me attempting an extreme degree of styling (significant foliage reduction and extreme bending). I still have two. I have persisted in repotting these in Aug/Sep. They do seem to thrive. Again, I think there was one more, but it obviously did not leave much of an impression on me. ;)

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
On a serious note though I did find a baby snake in one of my nursery can/junipers I had been reluctant to bring out of Winter heeling in
about a week ago. I was blasting the foliage and soil with the hose and out it jumped like it was wound up. Lost it that quick.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hans Van Meer cussing Vance Wood because his mugo died when he repotted it in summer

Hacked off too much root right after the waning moon during a dry spell on a weak tree. FTG!

"If Vance told you to jump off a bridge, would you do it?" Says Mom.

"Fuck yes I would", say I, "there's Mugo in that valley!"

IMO...

Spring is ONLY successful because everything wants to grow that bad.....

But we are removing 30 of 100.

After top growth halts, we are removing 10 of 100.

Much safer.

Sorce

Top Bottom