Yeah,

There'll be a new thread sometime!

Sorce

Crabman

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7ab
Okay, I'm in. Any suggestions on keeping this thing alive in the short term? Everything around it was turning brown and I'm worried it may not have long to live. Either that or it is the strongest one of the bunch. Soil is moist, and branches are bound with tape. It has been outside under a shade cloth at the HomeDepot, don't think it has been too cold for them, but I wasn't around over the holidays.

I'm new. Nice to meet all of you!

full

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It appears to be Alberta Spruce, and yes it is a real tree.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It appears to be Alberta Spruce,
I was gonna guess that but since he's in Spain I didn't want to show my newby azz.

Should be fun to see all these next month. But what about next fall?

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Okay, I'm in. Any suggestions on keeping this thing alive in the short term?
What is it? Juniper/cypress of some sort? Can't see the foliage well. Some look like needle and some not?
Welcome to crazy B'Nutz.
We used to race at Thunder Valley years ago.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It is a Spruce, a needle confer. I cannot guarantee it is anything more than a couple of cut branches put into a pot but it is Spruce none-the-less.

Crabman

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7ab
What is it? Juniper/cypress of some sort? Can't see the foliage well. Some look like needle and some not?
Welcome to crazy B'Nutz.
We used to race at Thunder Valley years ago.

Thanks for the reply, it is a leyland cypress. I'm guessing the others were being over watered or were watered when they were frozen. So far the one I picked up is looking happy. Only a few brown tips where it looks like the foliage was cut with a saw. I think now that I've cut off the tape that was binding it more sunlight can get to all the branches.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Just thought I'd post these 2 pines I found in red pots. Neither one can styled and enterend but I grabbed em for longer term projects. The Bosnian pine has been cut back, to future branches and a leader, (exsisting buds near the trunk) with the top left as a sacrifice for the next season or two. Much like they do with jbp. The trunks is already about 3-3.5 inches, so I'll be shortining the top until it's gone in a couple seasons, all while wiring and working on the branches down low, to build the tree. The second tree is some sort of grafted scots. I have not done anything with that yet. Considering taking some pics and making its own thread, so maybe Vance or some of these other pine bosses can hold my hand and tell me what steps to take first, second, etc.. thanks nuts!IMG_20170121_155047843.jpg IMG_20170121_153829571_HDR.jpgnever mind all that trash in the background haha. I'm about to make a dump run and clean that up

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have no pine yet. Killed some spruce last year...
I hope to keep my C Blue posted about alive. It turned out pretty good for cutting nothing live and only wiring.
I need a Pine. I have a baby growing out at our camp but 2yrs old.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I have no pine yet. Killed some spruce last year...
I hope to keep my C Blue posted about alive. It turned out pretty good for cutting nothing live and only wiring.
I need a Pine. I have a baby growing out at our camp but 2yrs old.
Get on that mugo train dude

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Just thought I'd post these 2 pines I found in red pots. Neither one can styled and enterend but I grabbed em for longer term projects. The Bosnian pine has been cut back, to future branches and a leader, (exsisting buds near the trunk) with the top left as a sacrifice for the next season or two. Much like they do with jbp. The trunks is already about 3-3.5 inches, so I'll be shortining the top until it's gone in a couple seasons, all while wiring and working on the branches down low, to build the tree. The second tree is some sort of grafted scots. I have not done anything with that yet. Considering taking some pics and making its own thread, so maybe Vance or some of these other pine bosses can hold my hand and tell me what steps to take first, second, etc.. thanks nuts!View attachment 129564 View attachment 129565never mind all that trash in the background haha. I'm about to make a dump run and clean that up

Nice find - I havn't really been looking at stores, but I do swing through the garden centers when I need nuts and bolts. Only reason I picked up the spruce I got cuz it was dirt cheap. Though I may take a look around if I have time

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
my juniper is coming allong nice :D
not done yet tough still some more wireing to do when is the deadline?

the blue spruce doesnt shed its needles yet after emergency repot couple weeks ago realy like That one so hope it pulls trough but it wont be in the contest this year

Top Bottom