Paper birch seedling

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was wondering if I could keep a birch under some T5's for the winter while it's a seedling. I have been growing it since it sprouted out of moss I picked. Idk what's ya think?20170930_153626.jpg

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Never did a side by side experiment on this theory but.. bring a hardy deciduous tree indoors for the dormant season and then leaving it outdoors for the next one seems like it would weaken the tree to me. Sort of like skipping high school but then attending college. Maybe I'm way off but if a tree can slowly adapt to it's climate and become more hardy with time I'd imagine babying it right off the bat would start you off on the wrong foot. Plus most trees need a certain amount of "chill hours"

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Also if that's the view from your balcony, that's not a bad gig. beautiful

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Even seedlings need dormancy. Denying it that could weaken and kill it

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like river birch, been thinking about them for a while....but I always stop when I think about the internodes.

Reactions: GGB

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Birch are generally super cold hardy. If your tree has been leafed out for a couple months or more, I would just defoliate it(cut all the leaves off) around the time of the first freeze and winter it like other potted temperate deciduous trees, assuming you live anywhere in USDA zones 3-8.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't do it. River birch is a poor bonsai subject. All of the other birches, it seems, are suitable.

They weep like crazy after cutting. I do not know if there is a good time of year to cut them to minimize the sap flow.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, as @Zach Smith stated I understand they make poor bonsai. They are all over the place here in landscapes. They suffer from branch die-off for no apparent reason and are relatively short lived.

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a few larch seedlings that I'm torn on what to do with as well. I think I'll play mad scientist and keep some in the greenhouse over the winter, and the others will be kept in the garage. They're so freaking small still that I know that won't make it in my zone

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a few larch seedlings that I'm torn on what to do with as well. I think I'll play mad scientist and keep some in the greenhouse over the winter, and the others will be kept in the garage. They're so freaking small still that I know that won't make it in my zone
Larch are super cold hardy, no worries.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The more trees you have planted in the ground the easier it is to go on holiday or take a weekend trip. I nearly drove myself mad two years ago watering individually potted seedlings

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The more trees you have planted in the ground the easier it is to go on holiday or take a weekend trip. I nearly drove myself mad two years ago watering individually potted seedlings
Screenshot_2017-10-05-10-59-42-1.png
I only got my rodie and the birch for outdoors but I plan on tending to the rhododendron :)

Reactions: GGB
Top Bottom