Paperbark Maple (acer griseum)

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
I can't seem to find much information or even many pictures of paperbark maple bonsai trees. There are a few on google images and one video on youtube, but my search within the forum didn't bring much up. There are a good few posts of people trying to grow from seed, and a few people with seedlings and saplings, but it seems no one has any trees in bonsai form?

I love griseums and have been wanting to plant one in my garden for ages but I just don't have the space and we are planning on moving house in a couple of years! I'm going back to my favourite nursery/garden centre tomorrow as I spotted a couple they had when I was there earlier today but didn't have time to look properly. They've also got about a thousand trees in their stock holding area and the tree guy there usually lets me have a look around before it gets prepped to be put out.

So are paperbarks good for bonsai? Will they take a trunk chop and all the same treatment like any other deciduous tree?
I'd be interested to hear and see what anyone else knows about them for bonsai use, or share any pictures they've come across. I'm hoping there will be something I can buy for myself as a 30th birthday treat when I go back tomorrow!

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
I found one with an amazing base and start of a trunk at a landscape tree dealer near me. After researching for a while I read that they weren't good for bonsai. Can't remember off of the top of my head but something about branch death and not healing I think were the 2 main reasons

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
Oh shit I just noticed you're in Bristol as well? I only know of about 8 or so other people on the forum in the UK so someone else in Bristol is pretty sweet! What was the landscape dealer?

I'll bear that in mind then, they're about £80 so not keen on buying myself one to have it fall apart on me! I know they're real low success with growing from seed, or at least low viable seed production and layering is tough as well.

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
Chew Valley Trees, pretty pricey up there but they have some nice aged stuff, there was a huge one in the car park but it's like £400ish haha. They have an awesome euonymus alatus for like £700 but it looks incredible. They were having a sell on hedging when I was there and they had some sizeable Japanese Privets for about £60 but I couldn't justify it after having spent way too much on a bunch of trees a couple days before

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
Yeah I've been over the Chew Valley before, real nice selection but some of it is waaay more than I'd pay until I'm more confident knowing what I'm doing

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I chopped one that was 9 feet tall and planted in in my garden last August. I've been trying to keep the squerls from it all winter. Like you I do not know much but am giving it a try. I'll keep you posted. Good luck.

Attachments

• 20171019_115817.jpg
    20171019_115817.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 20180317_081748.jpg
    20180317_081748.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 73

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
In my opinion, no good for bonsai, waste of time for poor result.

Unusual maple species, a must for maple enthusiasts, but to be left as a garden plant.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Do they refuse to back bud? What is the issue? Too late for a return. Lol

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have one in my yard and it is staying there. They take forever to grow. I planted it 8 years ago as a 10” nursery item and it is now about 3’ tall with a few branches. It has gone from a pencil thin shoot to about 3/4” diameter in that time. I planted a dawn redwood seedling in the yard at the same time and after the first growing season it was 10’ and about 2” diameter. When I saw how big it was going to get I gave it to our arborist and he moved it to a lcoation that was more suitable for such a fast growing monster.

TrunkTickler

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I chopped one that was 9 feet tall and planted in in my garden last August. I've been trying to keep the squerls from it all winter. Like you I do not know much but am giving it a try. I'll keep you posted. Good luck.
Is this the best time for trunk chops? I've been reading conflicting information

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is this the best time for trunk chops? I've been reading conflicting information
It is very species dependent. With acer palmatum it is bad because it is very prone to winter die back, which can be quite serious sometimes. With elms, and most conifers it is okay. Specifically for paper bark maples, I dunno. Certainly it will be okay in spring, 'as buds swell'.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This one is slow. If I had a do over I think I would have chopped it in late February. It may have lost a lot of energy in the chop. Or maybe they are just slow growing. I will take it out of the garden and place into bonsai soil this spring. See if it makes a difference.

Top Bottom