Paperbark maple, trunk

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
here is the sapling i have been going since springtime

very stoked on this one

its from the trees above, true leaf to the right of the plants leafs.

have 3 of them going but this is the strong one

20210811_172557.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
That 'natures beadwork" is probably a "frost crack" sometimes in autumn or in late winter, a rapid change in temperature dropping below freezing catches the maple with too much water, and expanding water as it freezes to ice ruptures the bark. Normally a problem only in young trees, the rupture leaves that type of scar but it usually heals over and does not re-occur as the tree gets larger. Usually. Sometimes the frost crack can become the entry point for disease. Sometimes they do re-occur, but usually it is just at a certain size that a tree is susceptible to frost cracking. Older trees become "immune" to it.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That 'natures beadwork" is probably a "frost crack" sometimes in autumn or in late winter, a rapid change in temperature dropping below freezing catches the maple with too much water, and expanding water as it freezes to ice ruptures the bark. Normally a problem only in young trees, the rupture leaves that type of scar but it usually heals over and does not re-occur as the tree gets larger. Usually. Sometimes the frost crack can become the entry point for disease. Sometimes they do re-occur, but usually it is just at a certain size that a tree is susceptible to frost cracking. Older trees become "immune" to it.
that tree has been thru days of single digit temperatures in its lifetime! i bet youre correct about your post

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I had a small one a few years ago that died. Very pretty landscape trees. Seems like you could make a nice forest out them even though the trifoliate leaf pattern would be challenging to work with. These are very hard to propagate (have never tried). They are known to throw out tons of sterile seeds so you plant 100 and might only get 1 or 2 seedlings. Supposed to be difficult from cuttings too. Don't believe you can graft them on anything but themselves either.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I had a small one a few years ago that died. Very pretty landscape trees. Seems like you could make a nice forest out them even though the trifoliate leaf pattern would be challenging to work with. These are very hard to propagate (have never tried). They are known to throw out tons of sterile seeds so you plant 100 and might only get 1 or 2 seedlings. Supposed to be difficult from cuttings too. Don't believe you can graft them on anything but themselves either.

true story

Top Bottom