Paperbark maple

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Well-here's one you don't see everyday- it's not much to look at now because it's just a large tree but it has really unique bark and branches as you can see
IMG_5069.JPG
buds are pretty cool
IMG_5082.JPG

The main reason I got it is this-there are main roots the flair our under the soil as I dug down a bit at the nursery then covered them back up. The tree is about 12' tall and will be cut down to about 14" and planted into a flat with the roots sorted out. For now nothing to do but wait for spring.
IMG_5076.JPG

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
It's one of my favorite small maple landscape trees...great form, cinnamon colored exfoliating bark, and beautiful foliage color, particularly in the fall. Very difficult to propagate. The leaves are trifoliate, which may or may not complicate its development as a bonsai.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've got one of these in the yard, thinking about attempting an air layer.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It's one of my favorite small maple landscape trees...great form, cinnamon colored exfoliating bark, and beautiful foliage color, particularly in the fall. Very difficult to propagate. The leaves are trifoliate, which may or may not complicate its development as a bonsai.

yeah after I cut it down n such i'm going to study how the new growth grows and then the following year(2017) when I start styling and cutting things I'll see how that plays out. I'm a sucker for unique trees and this fits the bill.

I've got one of these in the yard, thinking about attempting an air layer.

I'm pretty sure they are difficult to layer and germinate and take cuttings, at least form what i read

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have 5 air layers going on my landscape paperbark. I started them kind of late (July maybe?) and checked them in late October and didn't have any roots, but some significant callousing. Hoping they make it through the winter (if it ever gets here) and will root out this summer. So yeah, they don't root fast.

BTW, I purchased another paperbark in the fall that had almost black peely bark. I thought the tree might be dead, but scratching the bark revealed green. Hoping this stays black next year.
CW

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have 5 air layers going on my landscape paperbark. I started them kind of late (July maybe?) and checked them in late October and didn't have any roots, but some significant callousing. Hoping they make it through the winter (if it ever gets here) and will root out this summer. So yeah, they don't root fast.

BTW, I purchased another paperbark in the fall that had almost black peely bark. I thought the tree might be dead, but scratching the bark revealed green. Hoping this stays black next year.
CW
Did you use the standard "ring bark" method, or the wire tourniquet method? I figure I'll probably try each way and see what happens. Definitely going to start as early in the season as I can (April or May).

Chris

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Chris,
I did the ring bark method, added a bit of rooting hormone as well.
There's another thread in here where someone recently talked about air layering even before bud break. Never heard of that. I thought we needed to wait till the leaves were full first, but if you're looking for a head start maybe this is something to consider?
CW

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Chris,
I did the ring bark method, added a bit of rooting hormone as well.
There's another thread in here where someone recently talked about air layering even before bud break. Never heard of that. I thought we needed to wait till the leaves were full first, but if you're looking for a head start maybe this is something to consider?
CW

Couldn't hurt to try, may try something like that myself.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Acer Griseum. There are two large clumps of these in my neighborhood. Beautiful fall color. I grabbed some seeds this year hoping grow my own.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Expect very low germination rates...I've heard 7% is considered good.

A. Griseum is not self-fertile, but it makes samaras anyway. If there isn't another tree nearby (as is the case with my landscape specimen) thee 'seed' has no embryo - cut it in half and has a hollow where the embryo should be. Go to where there is a group of A. Griseums and the samaras have embryos; germination rates are then usually quite high.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Acer Griseum. There are two large clumps of these in my neighborhood. Beautiful fall color. I grabbed some seeds this year hoping grow my own.

A. Griseum is not self-fertile, but it makes samaras anyway. If there isn't another tree nearby (as is the case with my landscape specimen) thee 'seed' has no embryo - cut it in half and has a hollow where the embryo should be. Go to where there is a group of A. Griseums and the samaras have embryos; germination rates are then usually quite high.

I'm no expert on this tree, but everything I've been reading says it's a stubborn tree :) I'm glad I found the nice tree, it very unique maple.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That's what I have heard. There are 10 trees in the clump and two had seeds on them. I gathered about 100 or so. If I do not get any to germinate I found a source for bare root seedlings so I will just pick up a couple in the spring.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
That's what I have heard. There are 10 trees in the clump and two had seeds on them. I gathered about 100 or so. If I do not get any to germinate I found a source for bare root seedlings so I will just pick up a couple in the spring.
Good Luck!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cut a sampling in half to see if there are any with embryos. If it is hollow, it is certainly not viable. Stop at the first one you find - 1 out of however many you cut/split is an estimate of the fraction of the seeds you've got left that could germinate.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

I'll make sure I keep this updated, you can live through this tree and maybe it can help with your seedling what I find

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Cut a sampling in half to see if there are any with embryos. If it is hollow, it is certainly not viable. Stop at the first one you find - 1 out of however many you cut/split is an estimate of the fraction of the seeds you've got left that could germinate.
Odd that you mention that because that is precisely what I did. All of the kernals were as fat as peas so I cracked one open to reveal a healthy seed and embryo. Here's hoping. Wondering though, are these likely to sprout this year or next?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Odd that you mention that because that is precisely what I did. All of the kernals were as fat as peas so I cracked one open to reveal a healthy seed and embryo. Here's hoping. Wondering though, are these likely to sprout this year or next?

The seed coat is a problem and scarification doesn't seem to be effective. The coat, though, 'releases' in time during stratification, so you may want to proceed with a do-loop of 6 weeks in the frig, try to remove coats, return to frig, repeat until you've gotten most all of the coats. Then wait about 3 months to pull the package from the frig. You should get around 80% germination (not counting empty/non-viable seeds).

If you put the seeds in little folds of plastic that are folded inside damp paper towels (in unsealed plastic bags), you can easily pick up the ones that have germinated to plant and return the rest to the frig. for more 40F-ish stratification. I think you can keep this up until late June. Then either toss the remaining seed in their stratification packs in the frig for next year (2017), or toss them into pots, the ground or the rubbish bin (after cutting them open to see how many are empty, if you want to contribute to hobby-science).

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i've been working on growing acer griseum from seed.right now they have been stratifying in the fridge for a few weeks.i have about 100 seeds.
half i tried scarification and the other half i didn't.i soaked them overnight and i'd say 80% or so sank.they are now in sphagmum in the fridge

thanks for the cutting a sample open and removing the coat after 6 weeks tips

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I didn't know so many were trying from seed or the species in general. I can't wait till spring! Post your pics here too of you seeds n such, should be cool

Last edited:
Top Bottom