Pardon me If someone ELSE already posted this.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I alway wonder how the thief’s expect to move or flip them. The community is small and tight. Export them at great cost or completely change the composition so they wouldn’t be recognized.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The community is small and tight.
I think there are often a number of separate bonsai communities, not all closely connected. At least that is the case in the metro Vancouver ( British Columbia, Canada ) area. And also quite a number of private collectors that are not connected or open to the community clubs and more public events. Although their is some interaction, knowledge of individual collections is not widespread. Therefore , I think it is easy for some groups and individuals to acquire and keep their collections private.
I think it would be a mistake to assume that the known bonsai enthusiasts or groups are the majority of those involved. There are likely a much larger number out there than we are aware of.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
^^You think a serious private collector or enthusiast would take/buy stolen property on the DL? Or do you think the private enthusiast is the thief? As a high level enthusiast, you probably have an idea if something is lifted. Thinking aloud here....

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
^^You think a serious private collector or enthusiast would take/buy stolen property on the DL? Or do you think the private enthusiast is the thief? As a high level enthusiast, you probably have an idea if something is lifted. Thinking aloud here....
there are people that do not care where it came from.
For proof, just see stuff happening in Europe right now.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
:cool:I think a realistic view of the world and humanity has to include that possibility. Have to be careful about a narrow view of why people acquire things and what their motivation is? Or even what is a serious collector.
I have been to car shows where the vehicle arrives in a trailer with driver and assistant to prep the car for the show. The owner is so interested in cars that they show for the trophy presentation and party afterwards. If you asked them about the car they would not be able to answer any detailed questions, not have they ever worked on the car themselves.
One has to allow for the full spectrum of " serious collectors or enthusiasts"

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I suspect many of the people who steal trees only have a cursory knowledge of bonsai: they're cool looking trees, they can be worth lots of money.
The thief takes them thinking he can flip them quick on eBay or the like, like he did with catalytic converters. Only the tree might likely die before he can find a reasonable profit out of it because he doesn't know how to care for it.

Tree theft is like pet theft. You either have to be willing to care for it properly until you can flip it, cutting into your profits and putting you at risk of being caught, or you have to have a buyer already lined up.
Unless there's an organized crime syndicate that's in the tree market (and don't think there is- poor risk to profit ratio for American sensibilities), it's difficult to see them having a buyer in most cases.
So I think what we're seeing are the effects of the things discussed in the thread on growth or decline in bonsai: it's gotten just beg enough in recent years that criminals are experimenting with that market. I think they'll find it difficult, unprofitable, and we'll see the thefts essentially end.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am convinced in europe there is, with shipping outside the EU.
I am certain that it does happen, yes.
In the States, though, I would imagine it's more akin to the art theft market; steal a $1million painting to move it around in lew of moving and exchanging cash. In this case it would be relatively rare because the culture doesn't see the same value in the trees as the paintings. This is likely changing, but also not likely to affect any of us in the long term.
I could be completely wrong, though.

Elsewhere in the world, I imagine it can be much more prevalent. I suspect the Yakuza and other long lived east Asian crime rings have been engaged in illicit bonsai trade for generations, and moving rare plants in Europe has been relatively common for centuries.

Let's keep this going, because now I want to write a gritty pulp noir novel about high class bonsai thief.
Maybe in a dystopian cyberpunk setting.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
How would the tracker work? Is it waterproof?
I like the idea
You can use Apple AirTags. I was talking with a bonsai friend at a recent show, and he pulled up an App that showed the location of a couple of his trees on a map... one at his house and one at the exhibit.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I find this awful. Have to admit though...... I’m not too concerned. If anyone were to try to steal my trees, 🤣 the jokes on them. They are worthless, except to me.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You can use Apple AirTags. I was talking with a bonsai friend at a recent show, and he pulled up an App that showed the location of a couple of his trees on a map... one at his house and one at the exhibit.
I’m so happy that they are tagging them. It will stop the thefts once a few get caught.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had a tree stolen several year ago. It wasn't a great tree but a sweet Chen wen crackle pot was a favorite of mine and worth more than the tree. I imagine it's long since dead but... Back yard full of trees w/no fence. A small backyard motorcycle business brought strangers to my house... I always fear they will return and pick some of my better trees.

Nice the hear someone got caught.

Top Bottom