Park's Bonsai Farm? VA

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
overpriced. You are going to have to haggle to get a fair deal. (Something I didn't do) the lady is really nice but it's not the most professional place. Worth a look see if you're going to be in the area anyway I suppose.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would pay $10 a piece for those trees. Save up some money and go to Meehans once/year. It's worth a 3 hour trip if you come back with tons of bonsai. For $100 Meehan will give you much nicer material, IMHO. Never heard of the other place, and maybe that's why.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best bonsai nursery in a two state area (and I've been to most in Maryland and Va.) used to be Garden Unlimited in Ladysmith, Va. Unfortunately, they aren't selling bonsai anymore. They're still doing business with more advanced trees, but not starter stuff and concentrating on Japanese garden design and executivion. Their exit from the market leaves a hard-to-fill hole in Virginia and mid Atlantic bonsai.

I've never been to Parks, but have seen trees from there. Trees aren't terrific and they're pricey. I'd skip it.

There are still some great vendors around though. I've used:

Julian Adams in Lynchburg, excellent--always has been.
http://www.adamsbonsai.com/
New Maryland transplant Matt Ouwinga has OUTSTANDING trident maple, hornbeam and other hard-to-find seedlings but he runs out quickly.
http://kaedebonsai.com/
Jim Doyle at Nature's Way Nursery in Penn. is great too.
http://www.natureswaybonsai.com/

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've bought plants or supplies from all the above mentioned vendors (Doyle, Adams, Ouwinga, Meehan's) and I've been very happy with all of them. Prices are reasonable for what you get.

I lived in Virginia from 1998-2003 (Powhatan county) and at one point I visited a nursery in the area that had some pre-bonsai. I don't think I would have traveled very far at that time but it could have been the one in Ladysmith...though I feel like it was closer to Richmond (maybe in Chesterfield county). Wish I could remember where it was, but it may no longer be in business.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You'd probably remember Gardens Unlimited. They started out in the mid 90s in King George over in the Northern Neck, but moved to Ladysmith about a dozen years ago. They started with beginner trees, but quickly moved into advanced stuff. They were and are still VERY good with advanced stuff. These are pics of their courtyard and one of their forklift-sizedgardensunlimited1.jpg gardensunlimited2.jpg gardensunlimited3.jpg Chinese elm.

Gilad

Yamadori
Reaction score
Man...I don't know if I'd make a 3 hour journey out there. I'm out in fairfax VA and figured that Meehans is probably closer to me. Has anyone been out that area too?
I've been to Meehan two weeks ago. About 1.5 hr from arlington. Very good prices!! Super nice people and variety of trees from pre bonsai to almost finished. It's not Japan or CA but beat eBay or local nurseries. I'll be back there once I move on September

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wanted to give a bump to this. I not really that far from Meehan's and I finally made the trip there and I will say, WHY DID I NOT COME SOONER?! I simply couldn't believe my eyes, this place is simply amazing. I just went yesterday and I'd like to give my review of this place. Our arrival to Meehans was a little confusing as we weren't sure where the entry was but we called to make sure we didn't park in the wrong area. You should pull into the driveway with all the greenhouses on that gravel road rather than park at the houses. As we walked in we noticed cold frames and green houses that line the entry. They have an assortment of pots along the side and at the time that we went, there weren't a lot but Martha, the co-founder of the business, said they get it in every half year as they order a lot of their pots from China. They have a bench section just for these pots and they range from micro sized pots all the way to a pot that is slighly shorter than the length of a love seat. They also carry pots that are hard to find like forest, shallow pots. In their green houses, it was like walking into a dense rainforest. they have a significant amount of lush succulants I personally do not find in my local nurseries. My fiancee is fond of one of the Crassula succulents she typically sees at the local nurseries but can't really find herself paying a pretty penny for something that's nowhere near reasonable for the size of the plant. We did find the same plant, Crassula ovata ‘Convoluta Gollum, but this time it's 2 feet tall, and has a trunk girth of about 2.5 inches and all for the same price we found it at, at our local nursery. It was a no brainer. They have amazing bougainvillea specimens there and I can't believe some of the size of these threes they have for sale! Stepping out of the greenhouse and into their cold frames I was even more stunned at the amount of finished bonsai they had and the amount of potential bonsai stock! They had a sale section, something that is kind of new to me, as I dont see it often at a garden nursery. Their sale pre bonsai stock is phenomenal. I myself found it amazing they have a rectangular planter filled with tall hardened off saplings that they sell in bulk. Each planter had about 10+ trunks in them perfect for starting forests for a very reasonable price! Needless to say this was an amazing expereince. I also found they have classes that I'd love to attend. I can't imagine what this place would look like in the spring and summer.

Gilad

Yamadori
Reaction score
I bought several trees at Meehan's and couldn't be happier. so many reasonably priced pre-bonsai stock!!! Too bad their site is so terrible. They could've cleaned the place if they had presence on FB and their site was good. the 1.5 hr drive to their place from Northern VA is restricting somewhat.

Reaction score
yep....you got jipped... bettter prices at McDonald's Nursery in Virginia Beach on S. Independence Blvd....

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've bought plants or supplies from all the above mentioned vendors (Doyle, Adams, Ouwinga, Meehan's) and I've been very happy with all of them. Prices are reasonable for what you get.

I lived in Virginia from 1998-2003 (Powhatan county) and at one point I visited a nursery in the area that had some pre-bonsai. I don't think I would have traveled very far at that time but it could have been the one in Ladysmith...though I feel like it was closer to Richmond (maybe in Chesterfield county). Wish I could remember where it was, but it may no longer be in business.

@coh very few people know where Chesterfield is. Been here since 86 besides my college days. My office, from which I'm typing is 5 miles from the Powhatan line. I used to frequent Mill Quarter when my BIL's parents lived off the 5th. Small world.

@rockm It's sad to hear about Bob and Todd. I hope they've at least kept their personal collection in tact. Great guys. Sold me a Nick Lenz pot for $20 and gifted my wife, then girlfriend, a lovely ornamental pot. Good guys.

This area is a tough one. Once a year at the arboretum was all I could muster; now they've moved that as well.

Cheers

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@coh very few people know where Chesterfield is. Been here since 86 besides my college days. My office, from which I'm typing is 5 miles from the Powhatan line. I used to frequent Mill Quarter when my BIL's parents lived off the 5th. Small world.

@rockm It's sad to hear about Bob and Todd. I hope they've at least kept their personal collection in tact. Great guys. Sold me a Nick Lenz pot for $20 and gifted my wife, then girlfriend, a lovely ornamental pot. Good guys.

This area is a tough one. Once a year at the arboretum was all I could muster; now they've moved that as well.

Cheers
They still have their collection. They also still work on higher end trees with clients from time to time. They are great guys, but they're still into bonsai, just not selling it to make a living.

Rubberbandman

Yamadori
Reaction score
Adams in lynchburg is on my bucket list.......most of the typical nova joints are overpriced like wolf trap and merrifield and even bhinkees(sp?) in md.
I really miss the guys in ladysmith at gardens unlimited (todd) and what about the guy that used to be in dumfries/woodbridge area (little trees)?? they had a warehouse in woodbridge where a little asian lady took care of everything....of course that was back when importing was easier!
Bryan

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Adams in lynchburg is on my bucket list.......most of the typical nova joints are overpriced like wolf trap and merrifield and even bhinkees(sp?) in md.
I really miss the guys in ladysmith at gardens unlimited (todd) and what about the guy that used to be in dumfries/woodbridge area (little trees)?? they had a warehouse in woodbridge where a little asian lady took care of everything....of course that was back when importing was easier!
Bryan
The place in Woodbridge is gone from what I can tell. I haven't seen the owner at the PBA show in years. Don't know if he's still at it. He's the guy who imported some stunning Chinese elm from China and more than half of the shipment kicked off in six weeks. A damn shame...

Wolf Trap and Merrifield are overpriced mostly and they buy what they have mostly from Meehans.

Rubberbandman

Yamadori
Reaction score
The place in Woodbridge is gone from what I can tell. I haven't seen the owner at the PBA show in years. Don't know if he's still at it. He's the guy who imported some stunning Chinese elm from China and more than half of the shipment kicked off in six weeks. A damn shame...

Wolf Trap and Merrifield are overpriced mostly and they buy what they have mostly from Meehans.
all i reme,ber is the green island ficus they imported ...in black plastic nursery pots and already looked like they belong in a nice show pot.....amazing!

Rubberbandman

Yamadori
Reaction score
You'd probably remember Gardens Unlimited. They started out in the mid 90s in King George over in the Northern Neck, but moved to Ladysmith about a dozen years ago. They started with beginner trees, but quickly moved into advanced stuff. They were and are still VERY good with advanced stuff. These are pics of their courtyard and one of their forklift-sizedView attachment 78726 View attachment 78727 View attachment 78728 Chinese elm.
why did they get out of bonsai selling?

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yea she wanted $60 for the maple but I bundled the two for $100 even. Does anyone know if I got jipped? Or are these prices pretty standard? I'd hate to keep going back and getting screwed lol
Wow! I would have sold you this Trident for $50!image.jpegi also have bigger more shapely C-Elm cheaper:)

Top Bottom