Parrot's Beak

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I received this Parrot's Beak today from Wigert's. @Leo in N E Illinois has already warned me it probably won't bloom, but I still wanted it. I wasn't expecting much for $25, but it's 11 inches tall with a inch and a half trunk. Which might not seem like much to most of you, but for the cost, I was very pleased. Anyone with experience with these? Here, it will likely have to be indoors from sometime in October until April. I can't express how nice the things I have received from Wigert's has been considering the cost. The shipping is a bit high, but the quality more than makes up for it. In fact, they gave me a refund on this last shipment, because it didn't cost as much to ship as the website calculated. Who does that? I would have never known. Andrea there, is great and is happy to send pictures of anything they have that may not be on their website. I would appreciate any words of wisdom from anyone who has experience with parrots beak.jpgthese trees.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have one. My experience with it so far has been near death experience after near death experience. Lol. My gf had it in her office and left for a long weekend without watering it and it understandably tanked. I nursed it back to health and it was leafing back out when I went home one weekend and came back to almost dead again.

I did an emergency repot in March or April and it had been regaining strength ever since. I think the soil wasn’t draining well enough.

They don’t like it to be below 65°.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have one. My experience with it so far has been near death experience after near death experience. Lol. My gf had it in her office and left for a long weekend without watering it and it understandably tanked. I nursed it back to health and it was leafing back out when I went home one weekend and came back to almost dead again.

I did an emergency repot in March or April and it had been regaining strength ever since. I think the soil wasn’t draining well enough.

They don’t like it to be below 65°.
Below 65, yikes. Looks like high maintenance. Just wondering, where did you get yours?

Paul G

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine loves the heat. It lost most of its foliage over the winter sitting on the window sill, and I honestly didn't expect it to do much, but once I put it outside and the temps began to top 80, it really took off. Foliage mass is double what it was when I bought it last fall. Good luck with yours:)

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They like as much sun as you can give them. They like a lot of water. You need to repot every year. I’m doing mine this weekend. I bring mine in when I bring the rest of my tropicals in, around 55 degree night temps. Grow light on 16 hours a day during the winter although you may could get away with a south facing bright window but mine declined over the winter under the light. But bounced back when I got it back out this spring. I got mine from Wigert’s also.254313

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
They like as much sun as you can give them. They like a lot of water. You need to repot every year. I’m doing mine this weekend. I bring mine in when I bring the rest of my tropicals in, around 55 degree night temps. Grow light on 16 hours a day during the winter although you may could get away with a south facing bright window but mine declined over the winter under the light. But bounced back when I got it back out this spring. I got mine from Wigert’s also.View attachment 254313
Great info, thanks!

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I bought one from Wigert’s last year. I live in coastal Southern California. Did a significant root prune at likely the worst time (end of summer) ... the thing dropped all its leaves and was bare until the beginning of summer. Didn’t throw it away because the trunk would scrape green. Doing great now—seems pretty tough.

Top Bottom