Parson's juniper first styling

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is a first styling on a Parson's that I got a year or two ago. It is also the first tree that I feel I finally put a decent apex on. The sides of the tree are still quite long; I didn't want to overprune it, so next year, I'll take more off. I'd like some honest opinions on how to improve it. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20170904_131922.jpg
    20170904_131922.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 73

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like the look of the trunk and live vein against the deadwood.
It's hard to see the branches with so much foliage... I just did a procumbens last night, and removed major amounts of foliage to dial in the shape more for it's first styling.
Of course there is a chance mine might not survive....so take that fwiw....

I can't blame you for leaving as much as you did...definitely better for the tree.

Do you have more pics?
Maybe some before and after shots?

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good start. Chop the downward foliage though.
You mean the foliage growing on the underside of branches? I did for the most part, but admittedly did leave some behind. I didn't fully detail wire, did detail wire some, left others. Some of them are side-growing that I did not wire. Good call.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Sure it will be no prob. Just watch it doesn't choke the branch... But the indication would be too late on a Juni. I'd re do it, but experience wise I'm in no position to really say ;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The shape of that one jin is so beautiful, it is totally pointing you to the future.

I'd cut the other jins off, Cuz they'll never be as beautiful as that one .
20170925_051650.jpg

Cut back that branch shading that low branch, Cuz your whole long game tree should follow that beautiful jin feature IMO.

Nice!

Sorce

Top Bottom