"Part sun" question...

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
When it is recomended that a plant receive part sun. Is it a heat from direct sun issue or a light issue?

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
If I understand correctly, the answer is "yes."

Light that is not used in photosynthesis becomes randomized heat. Add that to whatever the tree is getting from the sun's infrared rays, and you may have more than the tree can handle.

Anyone else?

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I could probably explain what I meant better this way. If it's "part sun", would flourescents be an issue since there is no "noon time" like heat involved, just light.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Ah! The energy intensity of fluorescents is nowhere near that of the sun, so I'm sure there's no reason to worry. The only time I've had leaves burn under fluorescents is when they were in actual contact with the bulb.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think treebeard gives good opinion on this one.
Guessing you have the option of direct sun for maybe too long, or a place with only indirect lighting. What species are you worrying about Chub?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You have not identified the tree in question. Usually the issue of partial sun is relegated to trees that can not tolerate the heat full sun would provide, but this could be a mixed signal depending on the species of tree and your location, which is pretty far North.

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think treebeard gives good opinion on this one.
Guessing you have the option of direct sun for maybe too long, or a place with only indirect lighting. What species are you worrying about Chub?

That Azalea I just picked up.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If you keep it inside, the florescent light will do it good, especiall if the indierect is on the dim side, if it stays bright you may not need it. Do you have a chance to check w/ Pauline Muth re these issues, I am almost thinking that your full sun wouldn't hurt it, she would give you that info without a doubt.

Are you part of thier club? If not, if you don't mind I suggest that you join, it a good and active club, I think you would do well to check them out.

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yea I prefer it inside. I can enjoy it more that way. I think I'll leave it out this year though. I'll bring it in when I pot it.

I see she has a class this weekend. I might be able to get over and check out her shop. She is only 14 miles away.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Azaleas do not like full sun. They are not only susceptible to the heat, the leaves are somewhat light sensitive. Morning sun only.

Top Bottom