Partial Defoliation of Prunus mume

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
This recent video finally gave me some inspiration for my mume and want to do the partial defoliation he demonstrates and wiring of new shoots. I realize however that I am slightly later in my timing than what they say in the video that if I recall says late may. The growth does seem like its hardened off but the plant took off in terms of growth. Is the timing for this extremely crucial or should I be good?

Pics of my tree to come shortly.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Bet you’ll be ok. Your growth is likely a little behind the SE up on Long Island.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Oh you guys actually have foliage on your mumes? I'm jealous! Mine both didn't leaf out this year.
Oh well, at least they did flower.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Well mine didn’t flower this year, but it’s also my first year with it.

any idea as to what Happened? Is it just late or done dead?

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Well here’s my finished product. Definitely the most bonsai-ing I’ve done. I’m mostly clip and growing. Not the best photo as light is dwindling and I don’t have a good place for taking photos. 146A3431-DE63-44D8-BBC8-828E23BE3D13.jpeg

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well here’s my finished product. Definitely the most bonsai-ing I’ve done. I’m mostly clip and growing. Not the best photo as light is dwindling and I don’t have a good place for taking photos. View attachment 307892
Nice tree, ume are great. Do you know the flower color?

Why did you wire the branches like that? Something about Auxin distribution maybe?

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
No idea of the flower color. I got the tree late last fall and it didn’t flower this year. Hopefully just a new climate it’s getting acclimated to.

the goal is to recreate this style since it’s got a bit of a leggy trunk and I have heard conflicting things on back budding.

1591752669801.jpeg

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Worth noting that the branch that is blocking the trunk does not do so from what I want to be the front. I just took a poor angle, it may or may not remain.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well mine didn’t flower this year, but it’s also my first year with it.

any idea as to what Happened? Is it just late or done dead?
Late spring frosts and hungry snails.
The twigs are still green and the plants are alive, but they just don't move.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update on the second push resulting in lateral shoots and smaller leaves.
here are the three plants that were defoliated and cut back in varying degrees for experimental learning. Note that even on the one where the apical leader was retained with full leaves the other branches treated independently responded.

Attachments

• IMG_1116.jpeg
    IMG_1116.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1117.jpeg
    IMG_1117.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1119.jpeg
    IMG_1119.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 23

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you are just saying that branches are largely independent on mume like most every other tree - correct? 🤓
True, except I was wondering what the influence of leaving the apical leader would be in this case. And it clearly reduced the response on the other branches unless other variables were at play;)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am envious. I have never had a Prunus mume. I would like to get about 2 dozen of them to grow out for a few years. Small plants are all I need. Any ideas where I might look?

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I got mine from bella bonsai. Easy to work with, he sent me photos of a few and I picked one and got it shipped.

Top Bottom