Parviflora Cones

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To open jack pine cones, banksiana, I just put a few in an old frying pan. Low heat, it doesn't take long, and scales will start to lift and separate.

Pinus parviflora is rarely to almost never raised from seed for the landscape nursery trade because majority of seedling have yellowish needles, often twisted, both are negative traits for landscape and bonsai trees. The JWP with beautiful blue foliage is rare from seed.

True, sometimes one gets lucky, and if the only JWP in the nursery to pollinate the cones to make seed have good blue foliage, the chances of blue foliage go up some. But most reports I've heard from people raising batches of JWP from seed, have been frustrated that the number of good colored JWP seedlings is rather low. Yellowish needles are usually viewed as undesirable, unless the yellow is bold enough to not get the "ish" qualifier.

I wait to harvest pine cones until they begin to change color from green to brown. Then pick them, and a paper bag is great because it breathes. I believe 18 months is right for most pine species.
Thanks @Leo in N E Illinois I was going to use the toaster oven for the Jack pine but might try that . Ya I have heard that about JWP from seed makes perfect sense . But desperation . Very hard to get JWP here . But it’s looking up . Canada bonsai is raising several nice cultivars grafted low to EWP that looks promising . When available . Plus my specialty nursery deals with iseli Who raise some . I assume they are grafted to what I’m trying to find out . ( JBP ) next fall I can piggy back there order and get sone will be sight un seen but that’s the deal . This is the same people that are getting me thuja primo . The importation of trees from another country is crazy governent red tape so this is about only possible . But I’m happy about it essentially I can get anything iseli sell . Amazing what being a good customer and not complaining and a few kind words will get you

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks @Leo in N E Illinois I was going to use the toaster oven for the Jack pine but might try that . Ya I have heard that about JWP from seed makes perfect sense . But desperation . Very hard to get JWP here . But it’s looking up . Canada bonsai is raising several nice cultivars grafted low to EWP that looks promising . When available . Plus my specialty nursery deals with iseli Who raise some . I assume they are grafted to what I’m trying to find out . ( JBP ) next fall I can piggy back there order and get sone will be sight un seen but that’s the deal . This is the same people that are getting me thuja primo . The importation of trees from another country is crazy governent red tape so this is about only possible . But I’m happy about it essentially I can get anything iseli sell . Amazing what being a good customer and not complaining and a few kind words will get you
If not yet mentioned grafted to "not so cold hardy" JBP roots may not be great idea. Could likely get small tree or two in cardboard tube labeled as maps/drawings from friendly US Bonsai Nut😉.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You hit the root stick question on the head . I’ve heard and trying to confirm . That iseli uses some Scot’s for JWP grafting that would be better for me . Trying to gather info . Deadline is sept 23 . Order date for my nursery guy . For spring 24 . Would be nice if sone BN had info on purchasing JWP from iseli . Ie what you get at this time not even sure size avail . Or price . May just have to roll the dice . Everything I have from them has been high quality . And at least it’s a option I have now . As for a friendly BN mailing me something . That would be very appreciated . Importation of live trees heavily controlled . So it’s illegal . But with no return address . 🤷‍♂️ How can I be held accountable for what gets sent me . I am assuming if discovered . The trees will just be destroyed . And I don’t have any maps if Oregon . Should really stock up 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So FYI . Iseli nursery informed me . All JWP cultivars they sell . Are grafted in house . They have used other root stock in the past . But anything current in stock and as far back as at least several years . There words . Is grafted to Pinus mugo . Which for me is good news . Visa visa cold tolerance 😎😎😎😎😎

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fortuitous news.
So FYI . Iseli nursery informed me . All JWP cultivars they sell . Are grafted in house . They have used other root stock in the past . But anything current in stock and as far back as at least several years . There words . Is grafted to Pinus mugo . Which for me is good news . Visa visa cold tolerance 😎😎😎😎😎
Any reason not to use Limber Pine🤔?

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fortuitous news.

Any reason not to use Limber Pine🤔?
My question was what not why . But makes sense to me . I’ve read there can be a lot of variations in mugo from seed . They. Sell and have introduced a lot of mugo cultivars . Hence I would think there are a few about the place . Plus there growing and or trying to grow dwarf . Cultivars of JWP so dwarf on dwarf . Just my thoughts I’ve heard of multiple root stock for JWP so I assume there is no reason not to use limber

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My question was what not why . But makes sense to me . I’ve read there can be a lot of variations in mugo from seed . They. Sell and have introduced a lot of mugo cultivars . Hence I would think there are a few about the place . Plus there growing and or trying to grow dwarf . Cultivars of JWP so dwarf on dwarf . Just my thoughts I’ve heard of multiple root stock for JWP so I assume there is no reason not to use limber
Intent of question to grow Limber pine instead. JWP has nothing on these except snob appeal to some😜.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Intent of question to grow Limber pine instead. JWP has nothing on these except snob appeal to some😜.
Normally I don’t need encouragement to grow native trees .at all . I’ve been very vocal on the subject . But I have wanted JWP since my first go at bonsai . Nigh have tiki in at limber . Why do you like them for example . One thing to think about is a lot of western trees do not thrive in the east . ( note I said thrive not can’t grow ) David Easterbrook talks about this. Maybe we will see how it goes with my bristle cone first

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cold "relatively" dry climate your area(is it not?)and consider Limber native to Rockies, high mountains seems near perfect tree. NOT east coast:oops:. Seems your area precip/humidity very similar to here and is fine by Limber. Fortunately warmer here🥶. How old is Bristlecone?

Last edited:

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
USDA zone 4 the primary weather comes from the west. The combo . Of proximity to the Great Lakes . Across the nearby Ottawa river is the Gatineau hills . ( old worn low hate to use the word mountain range to someone from the west ) the weather pattern dumps moisture to climb over them .hence precipitation is relatively high here . Land is fairly flat where I live south of Ottawa . Heavily farmed . Winters are fairly dry ambient from the cold temp . Summers are short fairly hot will get 35 to 40 c and humid . 90 to 100 f . Got to run talk about. Limber and bristle cone latter

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cold "relatively" dry climate your area(is it not?)and consider Limber native to Rockies, high mountains seems near perfect tree. NOT east coast:oops:. Seems your area precip/humidity very similar to here and is fine by Limber. Fortunately warmer here🥶. How old is Bristlecone?
Limber looks interesting . Again no source . 1st bristle cone arrive this spring seedlings Aristatata from Alberta. Same source grows limber but like bristle cone every2 or 3 years low demand . This year B . My Bristle cone seeds lost last winter . In the post Covid trucking mess in Canada . Might arrive sone day before I die 😂😂 My deal with local iseli dealer means like JWP next fall I can order anything . Iseli sells they have several B cultivars . But again I’m pre ordering take what arrives . Unseen . Would appreciate any info someone here has . But bonsai people are not right in the head so I’m game 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😂😂. As I said some west coast species don’t do well here. Both western hemlock are a good example .

kinon_

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I have been experimenting with some pines more suitable for Canadian winters. I'm also located in zone 4 and have been experimenting with jack pine, lodgepole, limber pine and japanese stone pine (pinus pumila). I've been starting batches of seedlings for a couple years now and I overwinter them on the ground next to the house and pile snow on them when it gets super cold. All the species I've mentioned have relatively short leaves and are cold hardy to atleast zone 4. I've got a couple of jwp seedlings too but overwinter them in an unheated garage.

For white pines, limber pines are preferred over whitebarks, their needles are shorter and I've heard that the bark ages quicker. Pinus Pumila is actually found high up in the mountains in Japan, hybridize with jwp naturally and is hardy to zone 1. Pinus Pumila grows in a creeping fashion, where drooping branches easily root and the tree grows by "crawling"; I haven't tested it out but perhaps is possible to airlayer.

Attachments

• 320973897_872336153847384_7983026918011713748_n.jpg
    320973897_872336153847384_7983026918011713748_n.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 324225862_1612635139198046_1336844618302701626_n.jpg
    324225862_1612635139198046_1336844618302701626_n.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 17

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been experimenting with some pines more suitable for Canadian winters. I'm also located in zone 4 and have been experimenting with jack pine, lodgepole, limber pine and japanese stone pine (pinus pumila). I've been starting batches of seedlings for a couple years now and I overwinter them on the ground next to the house and pile snow on them when it gets super cold. All the species I've mentioned have relatively short leaves and are cold hardy to atleast zone 4. I've got a couple of jwp seedlings too but overwinter them in an unheated garage.

For white pines, limber pines are preferred over whitebarks, their needles are shorter and I've heard that the bark ages quicker. Pinus Pumila is actually found high up in the mountains in Japan, hybridize with jwp naturally and is hardy to zone 1. Pinus Pumila grows in a creeping fashion, where drooping branches easily root and the tree grows by "crawling"; I haven't tested it out but perhaps is possible to airlayer
Always great to meet a fellow Canuck. Bonsai practitioner . I over winter in a un heated garage .all trees . Works for most sensitive tree zone 5 shimpaku . Restarting bonsai after 10 years off . Pines I like Jack pine . The smallest foliage 2 needle . Also Scot’s pine you might want to try . Cold hardy and very adaptable . There is a reason there all over the place . Small needles nice red bark . Great for a more feminine tree . Pumila I have never tried . Sounds interesting . Thanks I have to temper what I’m going to grow that requires . Full sun it is one thing I have a limit of . Nice to meet you I’ll hit you up if I start some pumila

Top Bottom