Parvifolia bare but catlin growing.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The Chinese elm has dropped all the leaves but the little catlin is still growing.
I think I'd like the catlin to go dormant, too.

Same shelf.

Maybe put catlin in shade? What is catlin temp range?

While you're looking, how about that straight other trunk? I'm thinking I should remove it. MAYBE chop and see if it comes out shorter?

catliin.jpg

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Gosh, that was fun.

Sorce better change his greeting to "Welcome to STUPID "

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sometimes less is more and you remove the lesser trunk, which looks suspiciously like a 2nd individual. Or you could cut a V inbewteen the two trunks and pull them closer together. They should graft, easily, and look like one tree, more full, and minimize the skinniness of the whole picture. Here's a vert...
Elm s3.JPG
And then...
Elm S5 20c 30cc.JPG
Choose your poison. There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

Last edited:

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Definitely planning some adjustments when I can repot.

But I did think of a tree joke.

There's a game trees with quarter inch leaves play.
It's called, "Find the petiole."

...............groaaannn

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You can leave catlin foliage over winter. Mine are pretty much evergreen here. Old leaves drop as the new ones emerge in spring.

I agree that the smaller trunk has little taper or movement. Wiring it closer to the main trunk won't fix the taper issue. I would retain it but chop a few inches above the join then use resulting new shoots to build a new sub trunk with better taper and bends to match the parent.
There is a similar issue with the first large branch on the left and I would cut it close to the trunk and rebuild with smaller shoots.
Catlins have a tendency to long, straight shoots. and little ramification. Regular trimming will slowly build up movement and ramification of both trunks and branches. Definitely a long term species.

Top Bottom