Paul’s Scarlet Hawthorn

NickUK

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello all!

I have the opportunity to purchase this lovely Pauls Scarlet Hawthorn.

The pot is 16" in diameter and the tree stands around 40" tall (for reference).

The trunk is a little thin and long, and it's clearly in need of a good styling.

Just wondering what people think to it? I've seen some fantastic examples online, but they are all much shorter and thicker.

TIA.....
A86BA58C-9B38-47D3-B17A-E9BC3BEAF23D.jpeg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I absolutely LOVE the cultivar. A friend of mine has one...which is stellar. They are grown or he said, for their blooms. Remember that.

My friends .
Paul's Scarlet friends tree.jpg

My pathetic, little Paul's Scarlet...an elusive cultivar over in the states. I've seen many claim that the Crimson Cloud was a Paul's Scarlet by many. So I went with a reputable seller...in Evergreen Gardenworks...and picked up a cutting. Like I said, an elusive cultivar here I could not locate for the life of me. So, I'm working with what I have...to create something quirky in a short amount of time. In my lifetime...I hope to have something that...is decent.

The twists...
Paul's Scarlet the twists.jpg

Full image of what it looks like today. For what it's worth, I find a smile cross my face when I look at this young start...early on it's journey.
Paul's Scarlet full image 2020 cascade.jpg

Along with the image of it arriving last year in the spring.
Paul's Scarlet stick in a pot cutting.jpg

NickUK

Seedling
Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE the cultivar. A friend of mine has one...which is stellar. They are grown or he said, for their blooms. Remember that.

Yeah, they look gorgeous in full bloom.

Do you think the one in my picture is a good example? I haven't seen it in person yet, but wondering if I can bring the first branch down a little lower - The trunk looks a bit long and thin for the size of the foliage (IMO).

But.... I'm far from an expert, or have much experience with them!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, @NickUK that branch looks almost as thick as the trunk. I'm not sure how low you can bring it to be honest without snapping it. If the length of the trunk is bothersome. Do some research on how well they air layer. If they are good at taking that technique. You could air layer clean up to make a twin trunk if you wanted. I will say this...you are buying the bones. If things make you pause. Then really chew it over. Time will thicken the tree. But I'm not sure how beefy these actually get.

Myself, I rarely do cuttings. But I wanted a chance for the blooms ever since my friend shared an image of his tree with me. So I compromised. I'm pretty certain this cultivar is more common in the UK...where I imagine you are located. You have not filled out your profile. But if your name says anything. So if they are more common...you may think its worth waiting on better material. That's your call.
Screenshot_20200730-105801_Firefox.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Typically if a tree makes me pause...I don't buy it. I'm thinking there are images of trees of this cultivar that you are more drawn to. So if it doesn't speak to you.. pass. Find one that doesn't make you see faults.

NickUK

Seedling
Reaction score
Yeah, I need to get around to filling my profile out!

I'm in the UK - Pretty new to Bonsai but keen to learn and develop my skills on as many trees as possible - You can't learn time and experience though, which is why I thought I'd ask.

I've been after a big tree for a while, and this one is offered by a local guy at £135, which "seems" to be a very good price based on my research, but at the same time..... My eye for "what could be good in the future", is still very inexperienced.

Right now, I'd pause on any purchase, simply because I don't want to spend money on trees that may not be the ones to go for in the long term - So I end up researching as much as I can!

I did wonder about air layering, but would obviously prefer it if I didn't have to!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Understood. My collection, I've always sought out quirky material or bones that drew one in. I prefer a tree to stand out next to the one beside it. It's been my rule of thumb for adding to my collection.

You initially named the tree's faults. Which is a good eye. A bonsai is typically from the ground up. Nebari, taper, movement. So the tree has flaws for sure. If you don't wish to air layer. I would personally pass. That said.. I don't know how they take to that technique.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Speaking as a Treebler, I like trunks! This trunk is not as fancy-schmacy as it could be, but still this looks like a tree. I'm not familiar with the species, but I'd kill for one, and this one in particular could be enhanced somewhat just by allowing the foliage growing from the left branch to droop a little more than is typical, bringing down the skinnier branch on the right, and shaping the top so it is in balance with the length of the bare trunk, -as long as the canopy is significantly larger than the length of the bare trunk, it should look natural. Normally, I like to see the bottoms of major branches, but this gal is selling flowers...
haw 2.JPG

NickUK

Seedling
Reaction score
Out of the picture I posted, and this one.....

Which do you think is the bigger/better tree (hard to tell from the angles, so I'll use your expert guidance!)

p1040309.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like #1, but #2 is pruned less attractively and that puts it at a disadvantage. #2 seems to have heavier upper trunks above the Y and these two trees could be the same size if trimmed similarly. Also, I prefer the movement of trunk #1.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think you made the right choice going for #1. I have one and it acts differently than monogynas we typically get here in the UK (I have several - great trees for bonsai). I just severed a back branch graft a few days ago and it's looking good. I think it'd benefit from a reduction in the height of the canopy and graft one on lower to reduce the distance to the first branch. Mine was ground grown in my beds and I'm in the process of hanging a branch structure on it. I don't want to photo bomb but if you are interested I can post it up.

Last edited:

NickUK

Seedling
Reaction score
I think you made the right choice going for #1. I have one and it acts differently than monogynas we typically get here in the UK (I have several - great trees for bonsai). I just severed a back branch graft a few days ago and it's looking good. I think it'd benefit from a reduction in the height of the canopy and graft one on lower to reduce the distance to the first branch. Mine was ground grown in my beds and I'm in the process of hanging a branch structure on it. I don't want to photo bomb but if you are interested I can post it up.

Photo bomb away!

I was worried that I was overpaying - I couldn’t really work out which tree was bigger, but I think the one I went for had the better/bigger trunk and branches.

Plus, the pot is lovely (all be it a little big for the tree at the moment.

Would love to see other examples - I think I can train/bend a few branches to come lower, but perhaps will have to look at a graft in future!

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
My dad bought mine for me for £30 at a local garden centre because of the name and I liked the flowers. I've had it in the ground several years but the movement is quite angular, very similar to its natural growth pattern. He's sadly passed away since so this tree, while not of high quality, will always remain in my collection. It's interesting that the flowers popped on the end of the thread graft adding a back branch which hadn't been pruned all season. It's been separated now and I'm happy it appears healthy, even in the sweltering heat of today. The pic below is in July last year but it's the most current I have.
IMG_20190704_170815.jpg

IMG_20200509_113540.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My dad bought mine for me for £30 at a local garden centre because of the name and I liked the flowers. I've had it in the ground several years but the movement is quite angular, very similar to its natural growth pattern. He's sadly passed away since so this tree, while not of high quality, will always remain in my collection. It's interesting that the flowers popped on the end of the thread graft adding a back branch which hadn't been pruned all season. It's been separated now and I'm happy it appears healthy, even in the sweltering heat of today. The pic below is in July last year but it's the most current I have.
View attachment 319921

View attachment 319922
Really pretty flowers, but that little face in the trunk is kind of creepy.

NickUK

Seedling
Reaction score
That looks fantastic!

Great size and shape. That’s what I’m going to try and recreate as much as possible with mine.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello all!

I have the opportunity to purchase this lovely Pauls Scarlet Hawthorn.

The pot is 16" in diameter and the tree stands around 40" tall (for reference).

The trunk is a little thin and long, and it's clearly in need of a good styling.

Just wondering what people think to it? I've seen some fantastic examples online, but they are all much shorter and thicker.

TIA.....
View attachment 319538
i have a hawthorn for sale atm on ebay, its a better tree than both, has good movement, subtle taper. good branch structure and lots of branches to choose from.
has a little mildew atm but thats nothing to worry about, its a healthy tree20200703_183713.jpg

oh and it has a very good nebari
20200613_154440.jpg
20200306_183902.jpg

NickUK

Seedling
Reaction score

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What type of hawthorn is it?
its cratageus monogyna.
it produced a couple of white flowers while it was in a grow bed last year, but not seen any this season while its been in a pot.
it might eventually.

Top Bottom