Pea Gravel Thoughts?

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
What are your positive and negative opinions on using pea gravel in your growing media? Do you use it?

Negative would be weight.

Positive would be cost and added porosity. Micro pores may retain water but not like lava or pumice.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I had a free bag of pea gravel and contractors sand so I sifted them this winter. After staring at the pea gravel I decided against it and used it for my parking pad. It will retain no water at all and it was a son of bitch to sift. Do what you want but I definitely won't be making it a part of my soil. The construction sand on the other hand has it's place when used sparingly with pumice and 8822 for my shohin/kifu trees. This is all just my opinion of course

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A bank of pea gravel is great for burying pots that need to stay cool and moist (not wet) - say, newly collected trees. Not much use as a primary soil component.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I use it in the mix I use to create exposed root pines, bu that mix isn't intended for roots to remain in long term. I'm also planning on spreading it under my benches.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What are your positive and negative opinions on using pea gravel in your growing media? Do you use it?

Negative would be weight.

Positive would be cost and added porosity. Micro pores may retain water but not like lava or pumice.
I've got a few bags, we use it in some of our other pots and planting for general gardening for things that might like better drainage. But the particle sizes are too large for bonsai imo.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Only thing I use pea gravel from is to set pavers, although 5/8- works much better!

cheers
DSD sends

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sometimes I put a layer of gravel in the bottom of a pot to create better drainage and cover the bigger holes but that's only for training pots and nursery cans. In a shallow bonsai pot there would not be enough room.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sometimes I put a layer of gravel in the bottom of a pot to create better drainage and cover the bigger holes but that's only for training pots and nursery cans. In a shallow bonsai pot there would not be enough room.
Also adds a bit of weight for top heavy plants in nursery pots.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Weight could be a positive.

I started growing in rocks and dirt. It worked.

Though I find myself pulling it out of things to use for better purposes, purposes more easily serviced directly out of a bag, and they actually just take up useable root space in a pot.

Not unlike any large particle in that manner.

Sorce

DeeJay

Sapling
Reaction score
I use a little bit of pea size stone in my mixes including quartz. No good for water retention but definitely helps drainage. Coarse river sand is also good sifted down to 1/16th as an inexpensive additive. These substrate bonsai mixes can be expensive so I must be inventive. Crushed granite sifted down to 1/16th to keep the dust out is also cheap.
I am also interested in Cinderite. If you can get the least expensive stuff, it works out cheaper.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Thanks all. My general feeling was drainage and a space taker upper. Do you think any slow release of minerals happens like rock dust/azomite?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
1648609758353.png
I am trying an exposed root azalea, where pea gravel is my main medium to force changes in root direction.

Not my photo

Top Bottom