Peach tree(s) question

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We have two Peach Trees I potted bare root Spring 2016. One is a Hale Haven and the other is a Belle of Georgia variety. Both appear just fine but we traveled for a couple of weeks and I noticed what looks odd to me unlike other fruits we grow. It appears like small flower petals of pinkish color at the base of the new leaf clusters as if they flowered(when we were gone) and are now producing leaf from the center of them...
Never noticed/saw anything like this before -

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

Any clue what I am looking at?

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Seriously look like cherry trees.

Don't look like any Cherry here in any respect honest. Also not close to Apple, Crabapple, Apricot, or Pear. I have them all growing potted and these came from a trusted grower - The pictures are very close and the leaf on these is less then half the size you are looking at. Both are young started from 18 inch or so bare root plants Spring 2016 and I just measured them at 42 inches(the Hale) and 33 inches(the Belle). Both have the same characteristics just Hales' grow fast here.

Grimmy

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My flowering peach bloomed well over a month ago. I thought the flowers got frosted off but it's pumping out peaches now. I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

Side note... My B Cypress has yet to push a leaf. Yours? Last holdout and I;m getting worried. I read you saying they are late bloomers but... I stare at it every morning in the pond.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Side note... My B Cypress has yet to push a leaf. Yours?

Mine pushed early last month as it was a far warmer April then we have ever had - May has wreaked most of the foliage so far because of the cold snap... grrrrrrrrrrr... Honest the later they bud the better.

Ground ones here are just Pushing.

That is what they should be doing here but nature, well...

Grimmy

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is my peach. Looks very different from your leaves.IMG_20170512_080135222.jpg IMG_20170512_080041850.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm still convinced they're cherry trees. You'll owe me a bucket of cherries when you have some fruit :) even if you've got a flowering variety. Might be mislabeled when you got them.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm still convinced they're cherry trees. You'll owe me a bucket of cherries when you have some fruit :) even if you've got a flowering variety. Might be mislabeled when you got them.

There is quite a difference in my Yoshino Cherry. Flowers first, drops flowers as leaf sprouts elsewhere with no sheath, then fruit stems and fruit emerge from the spent flower in clusters. Also the leaf is a different shape and the bark is as well -

Cherry -

IMG_1109.JPG

Hale Haven Peach, to young to toss flower/fruit but those were leaf sheaths -

IMG_1104.JPG

I would send some Cherries but never been able to beat the birds to ripe ones :p

Grimmy

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
My Grandfather told me had a (something) Haven peach tree that I was sure was a cherry tree, until it had peaches.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Bing cherry!

I'm certain It's a bing cherry. We got two in our yard and they look the same as yours, with the leaves coming from what looks like a flower.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My Grandfather told me had a (something) Haven peach tree that I was sure was a cherry tree, until it had peaches.

I have had that happen but last weekend two local places had what I think I have and they look nothing like them - not even close. I will continue to grow them and just have to wait another year or two for fruit :(

Crystal looked up where I purchased them from and they are a place I won't order from again. On the same order were Live Oak that turned out to be California Live Oak... Argh!

Bing cherry! I'm certain It's a bing cherry. We got two in our yard and they look the same as yours, with the leaves coming from what looks like a flower.

You and others are most likely correct, now to order some peach trees in the Spring as the ones I see here locally are just plainly horrible grafts :rolleyes:

Grimmy

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
I hope you are wrong about them being cherry trees. If that peach tree was still around I would stop by and ask if I could take some pics for you. I am sad on a few levels it is gone. I was hoping to make a bonsai out of it. It started from seed in the wrong place, it wouldn't die when it was cut back to a stub(s) at least three times (In the hopes to kill it) and one of the trunks had some impressive movement and taper. I had been planning on digging it out for a few years, but my timing was always off. I hope you get your peach tree.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Although they are still pretty young at about 4 foot now they were the first fruit trees here to drop leaf and go dormant. Cool thing is they are setting dormant buds, the fruiting type so we will know in Spring ;) I am pretty convinced they are Cherry now to find out what kind, wait, wait, sigh :p

IMG_1668.JPG

Grimmy

Top Bottom