Pear

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
grow grow grow

I will post a picture when it grows some

I'm not sure how your local conditions allow for growth - is your season quite short?

One thing I would say is that people tend to take the short-term approach for the long-term with bonsai. There is this mis-conception that the trees you see in photos in books and magazines from Japan were just always grown in a small container and managed to get big anyway. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Trees are trained in the ground, in large boxes, in large bonsai pots etc., until the trunk is large and the primary branches have at least been set in place if not many secondaries as well. Don't put a tree in a small pot unless you want it to grow very slowly. Also, don't follow the pinch, cut, pinch method you read about in magazines unless you have a tree with a trunk and branches as large and long as you want them to be.

Here's what I think you should do with this tree:

11164781903_dd72da5009_c.jpg

Figure 1: your tree about as-is. It is small, with limited bonsai development. The trunk is nearly vertical.
Figure 2: Your tree Planted at about a 60 degree angle and showing about a year worth of good growth. To accomplish this I would put it in a large box or pot and allow it to establish a large root system. Train all new growth with wire, do not pinch any tips or restrict growth in any way during the first year.

After a year in a large container transplant the tree at the same angle into the ground if you can. Edit the roots when placing the plant in the ground. Continue training. Choose a strong shoot near the top of your tree to be a sacrifice branch. Choose it such that when it is removed the cut is vertical rather than horizontal and preferably so it is on the back of the tree. Allow the sacrifice branch to grow without cutting or pruning of any kind.

A second strong shoot from the previous top should be trained into a new trunk section and top; adding a second trunk section would improve this material by increasing the movement and taper. Allow the sacrifice branch to grow while keeping control over the other branches. Wire all new growth that is not part of the sacrifice branch.

Figure 3: After 3-5 years depending on how well you get it to grow your sacrifice branch should be well-established and fattening the trunk. You should continue developing the finished branches by controlling their growth carefully. With a strong sacrifice and in the ground it may be difficult to control them completely but do the best you can. If the smaller branches get weak you can cut back some of the sacrifice branch to re-establish balance but this will slow development of the trunk. Keep an eye on the roots - if one is getting particularly large you can cut it to force development of more fine roots near the trunk.

Figure 4: After 7-10 years you should have a significantly improved trunk. With some luck you may have a good branch structure as well. The "X" in the drawing indicates where I would remove a sacrifice. Note that it shouldn't typically be allowed to grow from higher than about 2/3 up the height of the finished tree (the position shown would be ideal but slightly lower would be fine too).

Good Luck and good growing!

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'm not sure how your local conditions allow for growth - is your season quite short?

One thing I would say is that people tend to take the short-term approach for the long-term with bonsai. There is this mis-conception that the trees you see in photos in books and magazines from Japan were just always grown in a small container and managed to get big anyway. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Trees are trained in the ground, in large boxes, in large bonsai pots etc., until the trunk is large and the primary branches have at least been set in place if not many secondaries as well. Don't put a tree in a small pot unless you want it to grow very slowly. Also, don't follow the pinch, cut, pinch method you read about in magazines unless you have a tree with a trunk and branches as large and long as you want them to be.

Figure 1: your tree about as-is. It is small, with limited bonsai development. The trunk is nearly vertical.
Figure 2: Your tree Planted at about a 60 degree angle and showing about a year worth of good growth. To accomplish this I would put it in a large box or pot and allow it to establish a large root system. Train all new growth with wire, do not pinch any tips or restrict growth in any way during the first year.

After a year in a large container transplant the tree at the same angle into the ground if you can. Edit the roots when placing the plant in the ground. Continue training. Choose a strong shoot near the top of your tree to be a sacrifice branch. Choose it such that when it is removed the cut is vertical rather than horizontal and preferably so it is on the back of the tree. Allow the sacrifice branch to grow without cutting or pruning of any kind.

A second strong shoot from the previous top should be trained into a new trunk section and top; adding a second trunk section would improve this material by increasing the movement and taper. Allow the sacrifice branch to grow while keeping control over the other branches. Wire all new growth that is not part of the sacrifice branch.

Figure 3: After 3-5 years depending on how well you get it to grow your sacrifice branch should be well-established and fattening the trunk. You should continue developing the finished branches by controlling their growth carefully. With a strong sacrifice and in the ground it may be difficult to control them completely but do the best you can. If the smaller branches get weak you can cut back some of the sacrifice branch to re-establish balance but this will slow development of the trunk. Keep an eye on the roots - if one is getting particularly large you can cut it to force development of more fine roots near the trunk.

Figure 4: After 7-10 years you should have a significantly improved trunk. With some luck you may have a good branch structure as well. The "X" in the drawing indicates where I would remove a sacrifice. Note that it shouldn't typically be allowed to grow from higher than about 2/3 up the height of the finished tree (the position shown would be ideal but slightly lower would be fine too).

I love how you envisioned the stages!

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have worked for several farmers up in northern ohio who grow their peach trees in 5 gallon buckets for the first few years to protect them from the elements until they are ready to field plant them for fruit. they are of course peach farmers with orchards, the ones in buckets get no trimming and do flower but I have no idea if they fruit or not.

ed

Reaction score

Thanks Eric for your input. You're right I am taking a short term approach in the sense that I hadn't planned on letting the trunk triple in diameter although I do like the idea of sacrifice branches to control taper and balance vigor. I'm not a fan of the zig zag form that is so common in bonsai and my ambition for this tree is much softer, more feminine, and understated. This tree will never depict a hulking, ancient, beast of a tree. This tree is a young girl :eek:

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Cat I had to let my crabs and pear grow in beds to a size that supported bloom. When I took them too soon they just grew vegetatively.

Ones I let go till they bloomed to field, would bloom again as they recovered from their first coppicing.

Reaction score
Cat I had to let my crabs and pear grow in beds to a size that supported bloom. When I took them too soon they just grew vegetatively.

Ones I let go till they bloomed to field, would bloom again as they recovered from their first coppicing.

What is a size that supports bloom? I see small ones bloom wild all the time!

Sadly I am not able to plant in the ground anymore and am very limited on space. I could do a larger pot but not like a training box. My living arrangement has altered (along with my priorities) considerably since I first started collecting trees.

Even if it never blooms, it does always have good fall color.

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm not a fan of the zig zag form that is so common in bonsai and my ambition for this tree is much softer, more feminine, and understated. This tree will never depict a hulking, ancient, beast of a tree. This tree is a young girl :eek:

That wouldn't change the plan other than to lean the tree less - say at an 80 degree angle and allow the sacrifice to grow for slightly less time.

The key here is to correct underdeveloped stock by using a sacrifice (or 2 or 3) and large container. I define underdeveloped stock as usually possessing the following:

-Generally lacking mature tree characteristics (bark, trunk that is not perfectly round)
-Has little taper or inconsistent or unsightly taper.
-Movement of the trunk is minimal, unsightly or inconsistent.
-Nebari is minimal or too small compared to the trunk.

Here is a drawing of your tree developed with a more feminine trunk:

11176161103_9c06d2bcc5_z.jpg

And I remembered this Bartlett Pear from the REBS show this year (photo by BonsaiTonight)

20120826-90-REBS-X2.jpg

Anyway, not trying to harp on you. Good luck with your tree.

Kind regards.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With regard to flowering and age, if you take an airlayer off of a pear or crabapple that is mature (old enough for blooms and fruit), does the airlayer continue to bloom, or does it start over as an immature tree?

Brian

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't speak for all varieties in all situations, but I've taken air layers off a number of mature (blooming) crab apples and they've all bloomed the following year (this assumes you've taken the layer from blooming wood, as opposed to a younger branch that may not have bloomed yet). Have had the same happen with rooted cuttings from Brent Walston.

Sometimes they stop blooming (or bloom very little) for a couple of years after that, but it's usually very temporary in my experience.

I haven't tried with pears.

Chris

Reaction score
That wouldn't change the plan other than to lean the tree less - say at an 80 degree angle and allow the sacrifice to grow for slightly less time.

The key here is to correct underdeveloped stock by using a sacrifice (or 2 or 3) and large container. I define underdeveloped stock as usually possessing the following:

-Generally lacking mature tree characteristics (bark, trunk that is not perfectly round)
-Has little taper or inconsistent or unsightly taper.
-Movement of the trunk is minimal, unsightly or inconsistent.
-Nebari is minimal or too small compared to the trunk.

Here is a drawing of your tree developed with a more feminine trunk:

11176161103_9c06d2bcc5_z.jpg

And I remembered this Bartlett Pear from the REBS show this year (photo by BonsaiTonight)

20120826-90-REBS-X2.jpg

Anyway, not trying to harp on you. Good luck with your tree.

Kind regards.

now that's what im talking about. Great example and I appreciate every bit of it. I will put it into a larger pot in the spring and see what happens.

Top Bottom