Pelargonium graveolens - mame

FilipMerynos

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi guys,
this is my little experiment with this species. It's well known in Poland and usually can be found on our grandmothers window sills ;) I had got it from a cutting, let it grow (look how big leaves it had) and then cut short. What I'm not sure about is how to transfer it (healthy) into mame pot. Should I do it in one stage by just reducing the rootball or few stages over the course of a year or years? Thanks in advance for advice!

Regards,
Filip

Attachments

• IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1328.JPG
    IMG_1328.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1367.JPG
    IMG_1367.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 35

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The roots should always be 'trained' into a (smaller) pot (at repotting time), it depends on the current state of the root ball how fast you can do it.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This makes beautiful aged looking bark on the stems really early.
To my opinion it is best to be styled in a cascade form.
I have this shrub into a jardinière on my balcony. Produces a very nice scent if you rub the leaves and we use it to give flavor to some jams and fruit conserves.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Man, you're so right about every grandmother having one. Not just in Poland, but entire Europe.

To scare away the moths, mosquitos, unwanted bugs..

I would go with a coarse soil, so that it makes a lot of feeder roots. That way the roots are easier to chop and bounce back when you repot. But then again, most grandmothers have a 20+ year specimen because they're hard to kill.

Top Bottom