Penjing: The Chinese Art of Bonsai by Zhao Qingquan

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Has anybody else picked up Penjing: The Chinese Art of Bonsai by Zhao Qingquan?

I've had it for a couple of weeks (got mine from Stone Lantern, though Amazon has it for a bit cheaper).

http://www.stonelantern.com/Penjing_The_Chinese_Art_of_Bonsai_by_Zhao_Qingquan_p/b1penjing.htm

I've really enjoyed it. Great photographs of beautiful trees and landscapes. Some shapes very similar to familiar "Japanese" images - some wonderfully different (like that Elm on page 15 :eek:). I'm still digesting the parts on "theory", described here as the eight relations. Cool stuff & definitely recommended for around 20 bucks.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the review, I've wondered if that book was any good...

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Mat,

The best book I have ever seen on Penjing (and not just because it is the only one!). It is one of my favorite "Bonsai" books. I haven't purchased any more recent books so I may very well be missing out on better ones, but Mr. Zhao's book is flat out inspirational.

Regards,
Martin

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's worth pointing out that Zhao Qingquan practices one of the many forms of penjing. His typical form is "land and water" penjing that uses an interplay of negative space (water), rocks and plant material. There are many other kinds of penjing. Most are derived from regional tastes in China. Some can be extremely stylized and can appear bizarre to Westerners.

http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/BigPicture/ChineseSchools.html

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice map Rockm. It would be amazing if someone from China took it upon themselves to put together a big reference book with individual chapters devoted to many of the better known regional styles.

He touches on various styles in Chapter 4 of this book. He doesn't go into the regional styles in much detail, but he has sections on "single tree", "forest", "landscape" & "water & land". According to the liner notes he pioneered the form of water and land in the 1970's. Not sure if that's an exaggeration, but he does have some great compositions. There are more single tree photos here than anything else.

Martin - this book just came out earlier this year, so I don't think there are too many more recent ones. Maybe you have an older one also by Zhao?

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Mat,

That's what I get for thinking I know what I am talking about without first making sure. I was thinking about Penjing Worlds of Wonderment.

Please forgive my confusion. Regards,
Martin

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Gotta love the search engine...found this past post...referring to a book. ORDERING IT! The main mentioned book in topic...seems the other one is $$$. But I'll keep my eyes open for a cheaper price maybe...

Top Bottom