Penjing

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just wondering how many here are into the Chinese Penjing style of bonsai. I fell in love the first time I saw them, to me they're more of a radical style for bonsai and the old type pots even with cracks in them just add to the flavor. I think of Chinese penjing more of an art form than I do traditional bonsai. :)

p1_pe.jpg

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The good ones are wonderful! The only traditional part I don't care for is the representational figures--the mud men. In this I adhere to the Japanese aesthetic of abstraction.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you! I only started bougainvillea after looking at penjing and Taiwanese bonsai. I didn't originally care for the flowers.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I first got into bonsai back in the 80s I saw some incredible ones form Japan with huge trunks, really wish I could do a few. :-(

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thank you! I only started bougainvillea after looking at penjing and Taiwanese bonsai. I didn't originally care for the flowers.
If you don't care for the flowers, I would be happy to take it off your hands, I don't mind the flowers;)

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's an interesting question--when is a tree a penjing instead of a bonsai? Single tree penjing would be called bonsai by almost all hobbyists in the USA unless they were told differently.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dang, that's what I thought, I don't have anything like that so I guess I won't be doing bougainvilleas. Yours is really nice, good luck with it.

They can overwinter in your house, although supplemental light and a little humidity would probably be required to keep a nice one. I shipped some back to a relative in the Midwest and they have kept them alive for 6yrs by overwintering them next to a south facing window in room with radiant heating.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vastly prefer more natural style of Penjing but not so much the decorations;).

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's an interesting question--when is a tree a penjing instead of a bonsai? Single tree penjing would be called bonsai by almost all hobbyists in the USA unless they were told differently.

Yeah I know what you're saying but if anyone were to Google pics of penjing and look at how much different a single penjing tree looks compared to a single manicured bonsai one would have to say there is a difference between the two, in some cases not much but still a difference all the same. :)
But then again it's all in a word, Bonsai- Penjing, just different cultures with different way of doing things. I also know that in most cases Penjing does attribute itself to a landscape type setup involving more than one tree.

Last edited:

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
some of the landscape penjing are very nice to look at.

Here is my Japanese Acer Palmatum Forest Scene Penjing of 3 Monks Contemplating the Trump Presidency...Additional Moss and Ground cover added,,,, Penjing is in in its 4th year and still a work in Progress....4th photo is Boy Fishing in Juniper "Shimpaku" Grove....

Attachments

• Bonsai FAll 2016 005.JPG
    Bonsai FAll 2016 005.JPG
    396.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Bonsai FAll 2016 004[1].JPG
    Bonsai FAll 2016 004[1].JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Penjing 1.JPG
    Penjing 1.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 23
  • P1037366.JPG
    P1037366.JPG