Penumbra's 2022 Japanese Maple Seedlings

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just thought to track the progress of this years JM seedlings. They were planted in an outdoor seed bed last fall so this is after one year. The mixed lot of seeds was from about 8-10 different trees. The tallest one is 28 inches and the shortest one is just under 3 inches. About 4 0r 5 are very dwarfish and not vigorous. I don't think the 1st year is going to tell me much so next year I will pick a dozen of so of the more interesting ones and track their development. At that point I will catalogue and number them. They will be wintered in a cold frame that will receive very little sun, up next to the house.
IMG_6747.JPGIMG_6748.JPGIMG_6749.JPGIMG_6750.JPGIMG_6751.JPGIMG_6752.JPGIMG_6753.JPGIMG_6754.JPGIMG_6757.JPGIMG_6756.JPG

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, thank you. It can be a real thing of passion. The linear leaved one is my favorite. I am interested in the few that are very tiny. I don't know yet how sturdy they are.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I collect JM seed usually around Halloween. I also found two tridents full of seed. One with a very interesting leaf shape.
I know of a massive trident near me but I know nothing if growing from seed. Maybe this is the year I collect and try.

Top Bottom