Penumbra's 2023 Beech Forest

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Having bought this pot from Rob Hunter, Broken Branch Pottery, about a year ago, I decided it could sit on the shelf no longer. I planted the beginnings of a European Beech forest today. I had these canyon rocks which I felt matched up well with the unique pot, so I have omitted the growing out in a flat or a box, and went straight for the throat. In a couple of years I may move a tree or two around, and I may add a couple more, but for right now I just wanted to get it started. I have other plans here that I will show as I express them.
I have about half a dozen of Rob's pots. I think he is one of the foremost in cutting edge bonsai pottery around. I am proud to have several of his pots.
IMG_7430.JPGIMG_7431.JPGIMG_7432.JPGIMG_7433.JPGIMG_7435.JPGIMG_7436.JPG

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Nice start, I like it. There have been some nice forest plantings on here lately. I have seen @Bob Hunter 's pots on FB, he makes some wonderful pots. I try not to buy much on FB, since I use my husband's account. Also, I need to curb my pot buying spree, I will need lots of other stuff for repotting soon.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The textures and colors complement each other very nicely, looking forward to seeing this one in a couple years! Well done Rob!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice composition, I would only offer two points. I wish that there were more than one planting level to the trees, if you had a shelf rock you could plant one on to give that feel, it would suit the depth of the pot nicely. Also I think the trees are all basically the same size, although I know it's tough to find beech seedlings with much size to them. Beech forests are very cool, thanks for sharing!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice composition, I would only offer two points. I wish that there were more than one planting level to the trees, if you had a shelf rock you could plant one on to give that feel, it would suit the depth of the pot nicely. Also I think the trees are all basically the same size, although I know it's tough to find beech seedlings with much size to them. Beech forests are very cool, thanks for sharing!
Both things you mentioned are in the works Judy. After I know that the trees will live, I plan on raising the two behind the tallest rock and having the roots of the one closest to the rock trail roots over that rock on the left side of the composition. And the right side might raise a bit as well. I want it to look like the mountains all around me. But beeches have sensitive root systems and the process will be slow as I develop the roots. I am also looking for some tiny seedlings to pop in there. But in the meantime, if growth is healthy like I expect it to be, I will cut back the peripheral trees not only to induce ramification, but to slow down the development of the girth of those trunks, while the trees more central to the planting will be allowed to grow wild to increase trunk girth.
Also, to protect that sensitive root system and to encourage root developing, the entire soil surface will be mulched with either Fir bark or shredded coco coir. I may never live long enough to see my vision completely realized but I am OK with that. It really is more about the journey for me.
It is also likely that a few of the trees may be moved around after a year or two of root development.
I appreciate you comments as they had been anticipated.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I may never live long enough to see my vision completely realized but I am OK with that. It really is more about the journey for me.
I find that this is the essence of doing deciduous work. And you'd be surprised at what a few years can bring to the table. Thanks for your reply, good to hear about the direction you are planning on taking this work.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What Judy said about the levels was my first thinking when seeing this...
Check out the comments in this thread and it will give you some great insight, especially the comments of Robert steven: https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t8375-reborn-forest-murraya-sp

Inspired by that thread I made my own forest a few years ago, this is more of a grove though. but you can see the different levels, contours and terracing in the soil which gives the appearance of hills and gulleys, its almost like there is something over the hill in the distance, along the enchanted path;)
24913014056_6cd7ccb4d1_z.jpg

Attachments

• 24913013306_cb3644b88a_z.jpg
    24913013306_cb3644b88a_z.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 23967350095_574ab0037f_c.jpg
    23967350095_574ab0037f_c.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 23340544303_0645dba369_c.jpg
    23340544303_0645dba369_c.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 23941248446_8727e19081_c.jpg
    23941248446_8727e19081_c.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
What Judy said about the levels was my first thinking when seeing this...
Check out the comments in this thread and it will give you some great insight, especially the comments of Robert steven: https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t8375-reborn-forest-murraya-sp

Inspired by that thread I made my own forest a few years ago, this is more of a grove though. but you can see the different levels, contours and terracing in the soil which gives the appearance of hills and gulleys, its almost like there is something over the hill in the distance, along the enchanted path;)
View attachment 478430
Looks like it could be in a Fairy Tale. BTW, that's a compliment.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The above suggestions are appreciated, and as I stated, they are part of the plan once I get healthy growth and root development. It is not going to be a science project.

Top Bottom