People say what you can and can’t do to deciduous trees. Here’s photos.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
URO on deciduous is a real thing...look it up. One of my favorite features. Some deadwood is soft, so it is short lived on a deciduous tree many state. But, find what speaks to you...and embrace it.
This is exactly what I was talking about and I’m glad it is something that can be embraced and accepted because creating these scars on conifer looks atrocious but looks natural on an old oak. Oaks and hickory’s with Shari are also common in FL.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I see your point @Trenthany , and feel the same about trees.
I couldn't care less about some Japanese rules about looks.
If a tree speaks to my senses and soul I listen and thats how I go about doing my things.
I don't even like to use the japanese name for a tree in a pot.

Here is a Fagus Sylvatica I will dig up later in fall.
I will do some carving in two years time on the trunk to see if we (Tree and me) can make it more like the old tree I used to climb when I was a child,
Because that's the feeling the tree ewoked in me when I saw it for the first time.

View attachment 315205View attachment 315206

looks like a like cluster at the top and a pretty straight trunk underneath. it might be that you need to airlayer the top off to eventually make the the better tree.

like what this chap has done. this beech was made from an airlayer

78227065_2617769701784974_6596724618789126144_o.jpg

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
looks like a like cluster at the top and a pretty straight trunk underneath. it might be that you need to airlayer the top off to eventually make the the better tree.

like what this chap has done. this beech was made from an airlayer

78227065_2617769701784974_6596724618789126144_o.jpg
Definitely what I’m thinking for the straight trunk one or I’m gonna be 30 years waiting for it to grow as I prune and control growth to keep it compact. Air layering will definitely be the way to go unless I buy and an oak that size would have a lot of years invested hence a price tag with zeroes to match the years lol

Nidhugir

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes, @BobbyLane
I could do an airlayering but that is not how I envision this tree. The old tree from my childhood has a split in the trunk as a very heavy low branch had almost ripped it apart in a storm but it still stand there today full of life.
So I will try to carve this tree in the same manner. It also has a bit of a hollow in the trunk so both the split and the hollow will take away some of the straight tapper in the trunk.

I spend around 3-4 hours a day walking in the forrest looking for natural trees instead of just taking a cut off trunk ( I do that too but very rarely)
It took me 7 moths before I found this for example
Fagus Sylvatica 2020-05-05.jpg

or this raft took 5 months to find and still need to dig it up in fall and have it survive.
raft 25-06-2020 2.jpg
I have some trees most people would say are ugly or even impossible to make anything out off but they speak to me and that is the only thing that matters in the end.
Im lucky to have moved to an island where Im the only one into potted trees, so I have loads of forrest and coast lines to explore by my self plus my own 12 acres of land.

Anyway, I dont want to hijack Trenthanys tread with my ramblings.
I just like the way he thinks.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Yes, @BobbyLane
I could do an airlayering but that is not how I envision this tree. The old tree from my childhood has a split in the trunk as a very heavy low branch had almost ripped it apart in a storm but it still stand there today full of life.
So I will try to carve this tree in the same manner. It also has a bit of a hollow in the trunk so both the split and the hollow will take away some of the straight tapper in the trunk.

I spend around 3-4 hours a day walking in the forrest looking for natural trees instead of just taking a cut off trunk ( I do that too but very rarely)
It took me 7 moths before I found this for example
View attachment 315235

or this raft took 5 months to find and still need to dig it up in fall and have it survive.
View attachment 315236
I have some trees most people would say are ugly or even impossible to make anything out off but they speak to me and that is the only thing that matters in the end.
Im lucky to have moved to an island where Im the only one into potted trees, so I have loads of forrest and coast lines to explore by my self plus my own 12 acres of land.

Anyway, I dont want to hijack Trenthanys tread with my ramblings.
I just like the way he thinks.
You’re on my wavelength! I think our “odd” trees will just take patience and having a vision that works for that tree. Not everyone can “see” our trees I think.

Nidhugir

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi again @Trenthany
I took some photos of a large very old oak today that you might like and maybe can use as an inspiration for your own oak.
Only used phone to take the photos so not the best quality but hope you can see the low branches.
One branch is just about touching the ground and hide some of it in the grass. I touched it and it swayed, so no roots on it.

Have a nice day.

ek 1.jpg ek 2.jpg ek 3.jpg

Top Bottom