Pepper Bonsai/Bonchi Project

LiquidSkin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm planting some pepper plants and thought turning some into bonsai/bonchi would be fun. Most will be grown in big 5 gallon pots, pruned, and fertilized like full season plants. Once harvested some will be planted into bonsai training pots 6-12+ months from now after they've got thick stems

Not much to show right now as everything is still small but here they are.

Ray's Sweet Habanero

100_0910.JPG

Shish Pepper

100_0911.JPG

Sweet Banana Hybrid

100_0912.JPG

I still have seeds sprouting (pepperoncini) and in the mail which should arrive next week.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have kept Green Bell Peppers a couple years as houseplants many years ago, not as bonsai. They are woody, but soft wood, and they need a lot of light. They didn't produce big fruit like in a market, but they lived and fruited.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Cool! I also started habaneros and cayenne a few weeks ago and now they are about 3/4" tall. I'll be watching what you do with these!

LiquidSkin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I was so excited about the peppers I forgot to show you my everbearing (Issai) white mulberry. It is still small but roots have taken hold and it is starting to grow. It even came with one mulberry on it. Check it out

100_0913.JPG100_0914.JPG

Can you see the new growth?

LiquidSkin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Pretty cool (or should I say hot lol) project. Keep posting 👍
Thanks so much. I will!
You better Flee!

Mango Salsa come August!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
Crazy is where I'm at home haha.
I have kept Green Bell Peppers a couple years as houseplants many years ago, not as bonsai. They are woody, but soft wood, and they need a lot of light. They didn't produce big fruit like in a market, but they lived and fruited.
That gives me hope. Thank you!
Cool! I also started habaneros and cayenne a few weeks ago and now they are about 3/4" tall. I'll be watching what you do with these!
How long did they take to sprout? When I plant sweet peppers they usually sprout in a few days to a week but I've been waiting on the Pepperoncini to sprout for a while not sure exactly how long. The seeds were kept in the freezer for storage about a year so maybe they went bad. Anyways, best of luck on your peppers.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
How long did they take to sprout? When I plant sweet peppers they usually sprout in a few days to a week but I've been waiting on the Pepperoncini to sprout for a while not sure exactly how long. The seeds were kept in the freezer for storage about a year so maybe they went bad. Anyways, best of luck on your peppers.
The cayenne peppers took almost 2 weeks to sprout and the habanero took several days longer. My girlfriend planted a few other types that haven't sprouted yet after 2 weeks. Still waiting on those.

I think they require (or like) warmth in the 70's or warmer to really get going.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I like peppers..

I just sold 40-something pepper plants...🤣

I’ve been selecting the most “handsome specimens” to “prune hard” and bring indoors for the winter.. they fruit all year if in a semi-decent environment.. or not, even. (Pepper depending, actuall)

My favorite one THIS year is the Hungarian Black...

Sugar Cream rush is really cool.. but won’t make good Bonchi...

Serranos and Reapers are the nicest I’ve grown SO FAR for Bonchi purposes.

But these Hungarian Blacks are looking real purdy.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a couple bell peppers that I saved this last winter. Does anybody have experience with how long they live? I have thought about trying to see if I could get a bonsai feel to one of them but ive heard they only live for something like 5 years

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
In Canada? (Or by me)... 5 years is on the long end of the spectrum, but achievable.

Apparently, in Mexico (at least in one area((I’ve only spoken to one Mexican native about it))) They live up to 10-15years... but in the ground, undisturbed and in year-round ideal, outdoor conditions.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If you LOOKED into it, via google.. or goggle.. whatever, It would PROBABLY say something like 2-3 year life span..

Not sure, though, I was just speaking from experience... so I could be WAY wrong on the “average”.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you LOOKED into it, via google.. or goggle.. whatever, It would PROBABLY say something like 2-3 year life span..

Not sure, though, I was just speaking from experience... so I could be WAY wrong on the “average”.
welp guess thats why you dont see any really good bonsai with pepper

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I kept a couple on different attempts a couple times for more than a year, but I didn't know anything about bonsai back then. They got leggy and weaker over time and in retrospect probably needed repotting and root pruning and even just regular heading back. I did none of that because I had no real idea of what to do. I don't need another challenge or another resident in my greenhouse now, and the peppers you buy in the store are so much better than I ever produced that I'm not doing that again. But I'd like to see someone do it up right.

LiquidSkin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Just a little update and some info

Ray's sweet hab is no more. The lights were to strong for it thus turning it yellow. After moving it away from the lights it would green up. This just wasn't optimal so I trashed the plant.

Read this for info on how long chili's can live https://chili-plant.com/interesting-facts/how-old-chilies-grow/

LiquidSkin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
While at walmart today I found this really compact looking thai pepper and immediately thought it would be a good bonchi

100_0916.JPG100_0915.JPG

Small leaves, very bushy, and it'll be fun to grow.

LiquidSkin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Here's an update on the Ornamental Thai Chili 10 days later

100_0917.JPG

It's less than 6" tall but is at least that wide and flowers are starting

My Chinese Elm is sprouting leaves yay it lives

100_0918.JPG

Overview of all the stuff I have growing

100_0919.JPG

The empty pots are there to keep my cats from going in the tent and pushing stuff over.

Hope everyone is in good health have a great day

LiquidSkin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Just letting everyone know I planted most of the peppers I was growing to outdoors and some even got binned. I still have a few bonsai in training and am wondering if you think I should make a new thread.

Here is a couple shots of Issai Mulberry

100_0932.JPG100_0933.JPG

The trunk is thickening up nicely. This will eventually be a shohin size bonsai.

Top Bottom