Perfect Display Heigth

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Folks,
I've come across some great ideas for displays in this and other forums (formal show displays, monkey poles, garden shelving/benches etc)....... but is there a "common standard" for display height?
When I look at most photos they are taken from a height to portray a general standard "frame" but for a display that is hard to accomplish on a normal table.
In a formal show setting I'm sure that there is some restriction due to table size etc but for more informal garden displays what's the most common?......maybe there isn't one as we, like our trees come in different heights as well..... so the ideal height for the perfect visual frame for someone who is 6' is probably not right for the person at 5'.
Ideas, thoughts?
G

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know of a standard. Horticulturally speaking some folks like to have benches lower to the ground because of humidity. For those with big dogs this could be disaster. My benches have different levels so that they can be displayed in a stepped tier. I try to maximise the best shady spots. Personally I would like to add a higher shelf to view some trees more directly.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure there is a "perfect" height, but you probably need to factor in things like the size of your trees, the area surrounding your display, the need to have trees high enough so dogs (and in my case, rabbits) don't mangle your trees, etc. Also your height so you can conveniently access and enjoy your trees.

For me, I use two-tiered benches with the first shelf at about 24", and the back shelf at 36". Works for me.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks...... so maybe not "perfect" but a standard one for displaying Bonsia in a garden setting. Benches to me have the main function on growing but for display I think it might be different?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is no "standard" height for displaying your bonsai in the garden. Do what works for you. The display doesn't depend on your height, but the tree's. Generally, you don't want to look up or down at a bonsai. You want to be able to look directly into the tree with a little room at the top... There's alot of leeway there.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It will come down to where is who's eye level. I would think you would want to display it more or less like you were taking a photo of it. As you view the photo you would just see the back rim of the pot, set them up as if you were looking at that photo. Tree size will be a consideration.

Top Bottom