Permanently moving a Privet and Chinese Elm that have no leaves outside

HeroAKKD

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Recently I have created two threads where I was seeking help regarding a dying Privet and Chinese Elm. Thanks to all of your replies I do understand that they are outdoor plants and that if I want to have them at all then I need to put them outside. The only place where I can put them is on a "balcony" which I have outside of my window (please see the photo which I have attached to this post). This balcony faces west and I think that direct sunlight shines onto it for a good few hours every day. My house is on the second floor so sometimes it can get very windy (a few meters per second more than on ground level). The short term temperature forecast for London can be found here https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743. A longer term (45 day) forecast can be found here https://weather.interia.com/long-term-forecast-london,cId,62348.

Given all of this, I would like to ask you what would be the best way to proceed in moving the two dying trees that were kept indoors outside? I had the privet indoors for 3 years and the Chinese Elm for about 8 months. Images of both are shown below. Both are in a very bad condition :(

balcony.jpghero.jpegloki.jpeg

balcony.jpg

HeroAKKD

Sapling
Reaction score
I just wanted to add that I am very grateful for all the hints on the other two posts regarding moving the bonsai outside. I just wanted to create a new thread to have everything in one place and so that you could all advise me on this in the light of the condition the two bonsai are in, as time might be of essence. Especially compared to the condition that they were in when I have created the other two posts. At the end I will simply do what you will advise me on this post and what you have advised me on the other two posts.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Privet are super hardy so it should be OK. I just dug my chinese elm out of winter storage because it’s buds have swollen into little pearls and are abit to bust so your timing in London probably is spot on. However I would rig up some way to protect them from the wind right now and harsh late afternoon sun especially once summer hits.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your weather looks to be cool for at least the next 45 days. Don't expect either of these trees to put on new growth until temperatures get considerably warmer. They will be happier outside, regardless. Keep an eye on soil dampness, don't overwater, and protect from wind as mentioned above.

HeroAKKD

Sapling
Reaction score
Privet are super hardy so it should be OK. I just dug my chinese elm out of winter storage because it’s buds have swollen into little pearls and are abit to bust so your timing in London probably is spot on. However I would rig up some way to protect them from the wind right now and harsh late afternoon sun especially once summer hits.

Is there any suggestions you have for how I could protect them? Especially that at the second floor winds are stronger than at ground level and that I do not have any wall that would reduce the wind.

HeroAKKD

Sapling
Reaction score
Your weather looks to be cool for at least the next 45 days. Don't expect either of these trees to put on new growth until temperatures get considerably warmer. They will be happier outside, regardless. Keep an eye on soil dampness, don't overwater, and protect from wind as mentioned above.

So you think that they will stay like this without any leaves until the temperatures increase?

So should I simply put the trees outside and leave them alone? Should I also secure them to anything? And do you maybe have any recommendations for how I could protect them from wind?

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So you think that they will stay like this without any leaves until the temperatures increase?

So should I simply put the trees outside and leave them alone? Should I also secure them to anything? And do you maybe have any recommendations for how I could protect them from wind?
I'm just coming out of winter, with daytime temps 60 and above. My Chinese elms are all either out or coming into leaf. The Chinese privet are just a little behind. I don't see any growth on your trees until your daytime temps are 20 degrees higher. As for protection from wind, I can't advise. Your setup is a lot less than ideal, especially given your west facing configuration. Sorry I can't be more encouraging.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You will have to be innovative with rigging a wind screen. You could build a frame on a stand and then attach bamboo to it for a decorative look. They sell premade bamboo fencing on Amazon and you could easily knock together a frame for it with inexpensive lumber. I was thinking something like this only shorter.

443C7728-7390-4B02-A6DC-21D1D2EB02B1.jpeg

HeroAKKD

Sapling
Reaction score
You will have to be innovative with rigging a wind screen. You could build a frame on a stand and then attach bamboo to it for a decorative look. They sell premade bamboo fencing on Amazon and you could easily knock together a frame for it with inexpensive lumber. I was thinking something like this only shorter.

View attachment 286890
That is a great idea! Ill have a look at what is around and will think of something :) should I secure the bonsai themselves to anything though?

And my most important question is if I should move the bonsai outside as soon as possible or if I should order all of these things, set them up on the balcony, wait for the weather to become a bit better etc.?

HeroAKKD

Sapling
Reaction score
I'm just coming out of winter, with daytime temps 60 and above. My Chinese elms are all either out or coming into leaf. The Chinese privet are just a little behind. I don't see any growth on your trees until your daytime temps are 20 degrees higher. As for protection from wind, I can't advise. Your setup is a lot less than ideal, especially given your west facing configuration. Sorry I can't be more encouraging.
So you believe that I should put them outside, let them be and when temperatures increase then the trees will slowly begin to recover? I understand that it is far from ideal but this is the only location that I have available that is outside. It is also very inconvenient for me as I will have to enter the balcony through the window to water the plants :(

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
A good gust of wind will blow that wind screen over and possibly wiping out both trees too. Unless you're willing to nail it down to the balcony. My Privets stays outside 100% of the time. And this year unprotected through the mild winter we had. Zone 6b.

Maybe try something like this if you can find ones a bit taller than the trees. Put like a 5-10lb weight in it and then the trees.
1583420651025.png

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So you believe that I should put them outside, let them be and when temperatures increase then the trees will slowly begin to recover? I understand that it is far from ideal but this is the only location that I have available that is outside. It is also very inconvenient for me as I will have to enter the balcony through the window to water the plants :(
There's no doubt the trees must go outside, you're asking something of them they weren't created to do. So you have to make the best of your situation. If it were me, I'd put them outside and wait patiently for spring. Unless the trees as is are unusually light, you don't have foliage to catch the wind so there's time to address that problem. I believe the best chance you have for recovery is to go outside right away.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They'll be out of the wind down in that cut if that pic is where they're going.

More danger of the tar heating up passed boiling.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really wouldn't worry about providing a windbreak. Won't make much difference and will shade the pots. Your forecast doesn't seem to (and this may be me) list NIGHT TIME temps. That is critical--if they drop below 0 C, freezing your trees are in danger of being damaged or killed...

Your trees need as much sunlight as possible after they're repotted in good bonsai soil. Sun will heat the pots, bottom heat is an excellent driver of root growth...

Indoor Trees

Yamadori
Reaction score
IMHO keep them indoors as will do very well and you'll have complete control. I keep mine under a Spider-Farmer LED light and they look fantastic. I will post pics when I am back home.

HeroAKKD

Sapling
Reaction score
There's no doubt the trees must go outside, you're asking something of them they weren't created to do. So you have to make the best of your situation. If it were me, I'd put them outside and wait patiently for spring. Unless the trees as is are unusually light, you don't have foliage to catch the wind so there's time to address that problem. I believe the best chance you have for recovery is to go outside right away.
Thanks and this is what I will do!

HeroAKKD

Sapling
Reaction score
For summer, I thought about buying a large tray and putting white pebbles on it. Then standing the bonsai trees on these pebbles :) What do you think? The pebbles will still heat up and drive root growth as rockm mentioned and since they will be white then they will be much cooler than the tar. I think I will need this as the tar heats up extremely during summer.

HeroAKKD

Sapling
Reaction score
IMHO keep them indoors as will do very well and you'll have complete control. I keep mine under a Spider-Farmer LED light and they look fantastic. I will post pics when I am back home.
Look forward to seeing the pictures :) How long do you have the bonsai for? And does the lamp generate much heat and does it consume a lot of electricity?

Indoor Trees

Yamadori
Reaction score
Look forward to seeing the pictures :) How long do you have the bonsai for? And does the lamp generate much heat and does it consume a lot of electricity?
I've had them for a couple of years now. The light does generate some heat but I put a fan on when it gets really hot.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think its about time I invest into some wind screen/shadecloth, the next week its going to be really windy and I was going to buy some sort of wind/shade cloth, does anyone have any suggestions for my situation.
20200409_173921_HDR.jpg20200409_173937_HDR.jpg20200409_173904_HDR.jpg

Top Bottom