Permit for collecting in Massachusetts??

Rfarrell5888

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Can anyone give advice on how to go about getting a collection permit in Massachusetts. Anyone with experience getting from Massachusetts

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From a particular place?

I'd start with the rules and regulations to those places.

Sorce

AK47

Seedling
Reaction score
Can anyone give advice on how to go about getting a collection permit in Massachusetts. Anyone with experience getting from Massachusetts
Did you happen to ever figure out where the rules are on this in MA? Also interested and noone seem to point to the rules, while people have been obviously collecting for years. Would love to purchase a legal permit for collecting.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Did you happen to ever figure out where the rules are on this in MA? Also interested and noone seem to point to the rules, while people have been obviously collecting for years. Would love to purchase a legal permit for collecting.
You raise so many red flags.

AK47

Seedling
Reaction score
You raise so many red flags.
I take it as a compliment. As mentioned earlier I am simply trying to figure out the rules and I thought this forum is perfect place to ask.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Did you contact the state's natural resources office? That would have been my first call for state owned land.......for private land just ask the owner.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I take it as a compliment. As mentioned earlier I am simply trying to figure out the rules and I thought this forum is perfect place to ask.
But good luck trying to extract information on prized specimens or collection areas free for poaching on the internet.

AK47

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks @Pitoon - I was actually curious about the name of the office as well as if it's a viable option I wouldn't mind trying it on a pitch pine to see if I can be successful in collecting.

For MA residents, you can find contacts here, broken down by county:

That looks promising, emails and phone numbers. Will give it a try, thank you

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
FYI I got a response:

"I have no knowledge of licensing requirements on public lands for collecting trees. NRCS does not have any dealings with this. I would suggest reaching out to MA DCR Forestry; they might have some insight into this."

My guess is this is the info we want

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 11.50.54 AM.png

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
FYI I got a response:

"I have no knowledge of licensing requirements on public lands for collecting trees. NRCS does not have any dealings with this. I would suggest reaching out to MA DCR Forestry; they might have some insight into this."

My guess is this is the info we want

View attachment 420012
Don't forget state and county may have different requirements if they allow collecting. The state office would be for state land i.e. state parks. What is not state maintained is county maintained and you may need to reach out to the county government. What is not county owned is privately owned. You also may be able to collect at national parks, but usually national parks are set aside for conservation. That would be at the federal level.

BUT.....

In reality we own no land as a citizen. The state owns the land, and if you don't pay your property tax when due they will confiscate your land and sell it off to someone else that will pay the tax.

Top Bottom