Persimmon Cutting

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
How do I grow Persimmon from a cutting . I have not done this before , but have got access to a Persimmon tree .
Any help appreciated ?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've tried a few times with a couple of types of persimmon. No strikes so far from cuttings so they are either hard to strike or don't grow from cuttings at all.
I have had success with root cuttings though. 5-7 cm lengths of root placed vertical in propagating mix with 1cm of the root above the surface. Make sure orientation is correct (closest to the trunk is up).
What type of persimmon is the one you have access to? Obviously if the tree is grafted the roots will be a different type. I strike the root stock from root cuttings then graft the fruiting type on when they grow a bit.

Fruiting persimmon have large leaves so not often used for bonsai.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It's the fruiting variety ( still worth a try - there's no problem with access ) the tree overhangs a public footpath

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
It's the fruiting variety ( still worth a try - there's no problem with access ) the tree overhangs a public footpath
I've heard they are very hard to grow from cuttings. Try airlayering maybe - might have better chance of success.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
No strikes so far from cuttings so they are either hard to strike or don't grow from cuttings at all.

I've heard they are very hard to grow from cuttings

The situation regarding cuttings is like that of Japanese Maples: some varieties/cultivars are very easy to root from cuttings, some are less easy, and others are, for all intents and purposes, 'impossible'. This is what I was told by a grower in Japan. Of my 35 cultivars, 14 can be propagate via cutting while the other 21 must be grafted. I will start testing this myself in Spring 2022.

(The same 'inconsistency' is true of fruit production without the presence of a male: it works well for some, and less well for others; see 7th column here: http://www.himegaki.jp/about1.html)

I should add that Mr. Yasuhisa Yamaguchi discusses air layers without discriminating among varieties/cultivars. I don't know how we should interpret this silence though.

Attachments

• IMG_0011 3.jpeg
    IMG_0011 3.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0012 3.jpeg
    IMG_0012 3.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom