Personalizing Bonsai Tools With Your Initials?

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A talented guy by the name of Wayne D'Angelo did the work. He's a retired master engraver (I think I got that right) and I believe he is a member here? Anyway, his work is incredible.

He is but it doesn't look like he's been around lately. He had some really nice trees.

Reactions: Vin

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use 2 different color electrical tape on them so I can ID them at workshops and study groups.

Simple and easy to do, but I am going to look into the AB engraving for the tools I got from them.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Simple and easy to do, but I am going to look into the AB engraving for the tools I got from them.

I did that a few times and I guess the tape was crappy or perhaps I leave them out in the Sun to much. You and John Lee got me thinking though and have a better but similar solution for myself.
We use a Brother P-Touch PT-H100 Laser hand held to make really durable labels for plants. We print them on their white laminated tape and apply it to the standard white plastic plant markers - there have been some outside for a few years and they look new. Very good quality, holds up to all weather, non fading.
Soooooooooooooooooo... You and John are responsible for me buying the tape in Red to be lettered black :p I will simply print a foot or so of black skull and crossbones or something off the wall and wrap handles as needed -

red tape for brother lazer.jpg

Thanks for making me think on it! Pretty certain it will work out fine. :)

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I use 2 different color electrical tape on them so I can ID them at workshops and study groups.

I might add a white band too but this is what the red looks like -

IMG_1523.JPG

Grimmy

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That’s not bad looking at all, Grimmy.
A white band would really set it off nicely too.

I’m thinking of a more permanent mark for mine.
I’m on vacation for the next 9 days, so now I’ll have time to research local shops, to see what they can do.
Otherwise I’ll etch ‘em myself.

Also looking into building a cold-house, similar to JudyB’s.
That structure is awesome!

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That’s not bad looking at all, Grimmy.
A white band would really set it off nicely too.

I applied it to a few yesterday. As I mentioned this stuff is durable so I expect it will hold up nicely. On the downside I now have quite a pile to mark...

IMG_1526.JPG

IMG_1527.JPG

Grimmy

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks for posting an update, Grimmy.
THAT looks pretty dang cool. Might also scare-off some folks, & make them think twice before picking-up your tools. LOL...

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Might also scare-off some folks, & make them think twice before picking-up your tools. LOL...

When people come here to work on plants is the main reason I need to mark them, even though they bring tools I have been known to hand them one of mine while I sharpen theirs :p Most times I bring out carbon tools and it is tricky to quickly see the difference. I have not had great success with other tapes for a lot of reasons. I tried the dip coating too and it did not take long to degrade or peel. Although I keep everything oiled and sharp I am pretty rough on them otherwise. Goes with the name I guess :p

Grimmy

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Can't imagine why I'd engrave my name on a bonsai tool. much easier and more identifiable ways to ID a tool in a group setting. Plasti dip rubberizing compound makes the tool not only easier to identify but also makes it easier to use...comes in different colors...
Love the plasti-dip, got tired of replacing electrical tape. There is a similar product out their called liquid electrical tape. Comes in red and black. Works well too and is much more economical. Not as many colours, just red and black!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A talented guy by the name of Wayne D'Angelo did the work. He's a retired master engraver (I think I got that right) and I believe he is a member here? Anyway, his work is incredible.

D'Angelo Engraving Art

@D'Angelo is a member here, but for whatever reason I can't link his name in this note. I assume it's the apostrophe in his name that is causing the problem... I'll shoot him an email.

Reactions: Vin

Micci

Yamadori
Reaction score
image.jpg I use color tape used for surgical instruments for the medical field, its great!

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I did that a few times and I guess the tape was crappy or perhaps I leave them out in the Sun to much. You and John Lee got me thinking though and have a better but similar solution for myself.
We use a Brother P-Touch PT-H100 Laser hand held to make really durable labels for plants. We print them on their white laminated tape and apply it to the standard white plastic plant markers - there have been some outside for a few years and they look new. Very good quality, holds up to all weather, non fading.
Soooooooooooooooooo... You and John are responsible for me buying the tape in Red to be lettered black :p I will simply print a foot or so of black skull and crossbones or something off the wall and wrap handles as needed -

View attachment 163465

Thanks for making me think on it! Pretty certain it will work out fine. :)

Grimmy
Appreciate the suggestion!!

Attachments

• 47C230BD-2194-491E-92D1-B5793AF1AD05.jpeg
    47C230BD-2194-491E-92D1-B5793AF1AD05.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 13
  • 32F8887E-C072-43FE-9486-B899CB405D61.jpeg
    32F8887E-C072-43FE-9486-B899CB405D61.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom