Personalizing Bonsai Tools With Your Initials?

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
04AFDC9C-C6C4-4FB5-A334-0550FD9A7E45.jpeg BB93A142-7E76-4F2F-937C-7249A1154FE8.jpeg Hi All,
Being it’s so ugly here on Long Island today, I didn’t continue working on the Bonsai supplies shed that I’m building.
Sooo, I decided to start unboxing and organizing my new Kaneshin tools.
I know, I went over board, but my OCD kicked in. LOL...
Gotta have the right tools. You should see my car tools!

The extra Kaneshin tools in he big box will be added to our business website, to be sold.

My question is, has anyone here engraved their initials on their tools?
If so, is there any particular tool that you prefer?
Any down-side to doing this to stainless steel???

Thanks Again,
BigBen

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You could do Dremel and a fine diamond Burr, etching with ferric chloride with a nail polish/sharpie/wax resist, take it to one of those gift engraving places. Doing it to stainless is okay, it's not plated.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thank you Ironbeaver!
I’ll have to check my Dremel bits later, and see what I have.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I usually just mark mine with colored electrical tape on one of the handles. More to just keep from getting them mixed up at group workshops. The dremel works good, but it is difficult, at least for me, to keep the letters from looking like a third grader did it.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thank you, all.
Man , I LOVE this place!!!

I did see several of those etching videos online, using batteries, etc..
Simple enough, just need to find/make a nice looking set of small-enough stencils.

I was also thinking about using my Dremel tool, but then again...
My hand is steady, but I'm not a professional engraver. LOL...
Yet, if I practice enough on some scrap, I should be able to get it done nicely.

As of this moment, taking them to someone that actually DOES that for a living, is the way I'm leaning... HOWEVER, I also don't really want to leave my tools with a stranger.
I know, I know.... But I just MIGHT have a bit of an issue with leaving them there. (OCD, remember?). LOL...
Maybe I could wait there too??? It'll probably take a couple of hours.

Decisions, decisions... OCD SUCKS, in plain English!!!
And I don't have it THAT bad, either.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't imagine why I'd engrave my name on a bonsai tool. much easier and more identifiable ways to ID a tool in a group setting. Plasti dip rubberizing compound makes the tool not only easier to identify but also makes it easier to use...comes in different colors...

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There was a guy here @D'Angelo who was the master engraver for Smith & Wesson. It doesn't look like he has been around for quite a while though. The engraving would probably be more than you paid for the tools.

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/barter-your-tree-for-my-services.13746/#post-179447

I've been trying to get into hand engraving myself but talk about a steep learning curve. Maybe when winter comes I'll have some time to get back into it.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thank you all for the help.

Been looking at Marking Methods 300 machine, and Etch-O-Matic devices too.
Most say that the stencil is the most important part of the process, so get HIGH QUALITY stencils if choosing to go that route.

Those homemade devices are easy to do too.

I'll also continue look into local laser etching companies, as pointed out above.

You can do some really cool designs with this stuff!!!
I'm thinking simple initials though. But then again... LOL...

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
American Bonsai will laser engrave tools you buy from them. I believe it's part of their kit options now on the website but not sure. They offered to do mine, I accepted, just havent gotten back out there to have it done.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Man wrap some rubber bands on it and be done.

Unless you want something to be a bit more permanent of course...

Top Bottom