Pest and fungus during winter

Reaction score
What is the best method of preparing your trees for the spring? What can be done to get a head start on the pests and fungus that may attack during spring?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Daconil is commonly used by many as a Spring treatment to deal with Fungus. I use Copper Soap. I don't treat for pests(bugs) but I do treat the surrounding surfaces with Malathion if problems seem to arise.
I must caution you - all of the above can cause a lot of damage to you and the surroundings. I use everything in very mild mixes and up it until I get results. For the most part I have found that using 1/3rd of what they recommend works fine.

Grimmy

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I only spray insecticide when my trees have a pest problem. I spray my junipers with Lime sulfur in the early spring to maybe ward off cedar apple rust.

Otherwise, preventative spraying does little good -- despite what many say.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also if you have trees outside to overwinter you sometimes have to take up rodent protection. They love to eat bark when times are tough. They have tunnels under the snow. I put mothballs on and around my trees also I spray the crap out of the whole area including trees with liquid fence.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

Otherwise, preventative spraying does little good -- despite what many say.

I disagree with this statement if you're using a horticultural/dormant oil. They're designed to kill overwintering insects, eggs, and fungal spores...in essence "preventing" them from becoming a problem during the next growing season.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Im interested in this subject because i have a problem with white mildew. I have neem oil. When should i apply it and how often throughout the winter?

Top Bottom