Pest concern!!!

kmdesigns

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was outside this morning doing yard work and my neighbor has a huge lemon tree in their side yard that spills over into my yard. I started trimming it back to the fence line and as I was chopping up the branches to put in my trash, I noticed on one of the small branches there was a section that was absolutely covered in scale and what look like wooly aphids. This tree is on the same side of the house that I keep all my pre-bonsai and seedlings. How concerned do I need to be and what kind of chemicals can I use as preventatives?

Thanks in advance for any help.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You just need to look at them daily or twice daily if you can and see if there are pests on them. Chances are that they are far more attracted to the fruit tree than your bonsai. If you see them, then you should determine what they are (post pics here) and figure out what to use on them. Part of that will be determined by what type of bonsai trees you're treating, some don't like pesticides. If this is aphids and scale, you can use insecticidal soap with good results on most plants. Did you take a good CLOSE look at your plants??? Don't spray unless you need to.

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
I've had good results with treatment of scale using Safer Soap. Not certain what plants it can/can't be used on. I've treated Fukien Teas and 3 types of jades... Probably result of insufficient air circulation during colder months when they're indoors.

As Judy was saying, they will hopefully just stay away from your plants and bother the lemon tree.

kmdesigns

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I spoke to a few people and its looking like its citrus white flies. All the things I saw were just different stages of the white flies. More than likely they will stick to the lemon tree, but I may treat with a systemic made for citrus trees just to be on the safe side.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Why ask questions if you don't follow the advice given? You don't want to spray if it's not needed. You can kill your tree just as easily as you can help it with insecticides. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's just the truth...

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I spray all my trees when any of the have a problem. I did not realize it could be harmful? I always figured that is what it was made for. What problems can it cause? We had such a hot winter the insects are horrible this year. I have sprayed my trees at least once a month I have also sprayed my entire yard with a systemic on a hose sprayer.

Zaelthus

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I spray all my trees when any of the have a problem. I did not realize it could be harmful? I always figured that is what it was made for. What problems can it cause? We had such a hot winter the insects are horrible this year. I have sprayed my trees at least once a month I have also sprayed my entire yard with a systemic on a hose sprayer.

How about this for one: Cancer??

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You do realize that you're killing beneficial insects as well as the bad ones when you use insecticides? There are a lot of reasons not to just spray it all. (see above) Some plants are more sensitive than others to chemicals. I've had trees that would shed their leaves just from one spray of soap. And why spray everything when you only have trouble on one tree?

Top Bottom