Pest/fungus/other identification please

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
Internet searches have been unable to identify from key word searching so I am hoping someone can help identify this (pics attached)

Newly purchased Hazel (corylus) had red blister looking shells on the trunk, decided to poke one to see if it was hard or goo like and it popped off

Revealing a hard outer redish shell filled with white powder maybe eggs?

I then noticed finger marks on the trunk of similar white powder and did see a tiny white /see through bug of some kind- now dead but possibly not alone...

Attachments

• 20210710_190124.jpg
    20210710_190124.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210710_190103.jpg
    20210710_190103.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210710_190018.jpg
    20210710_190018.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210710_185942.jpg
    20210710_185942.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, that's got to be scale. It's an actual insect that has latched onto your tree, sunk in its proboscis and started sucking sap. They build that shell around them for protection and spend the rest of their lives there. You probably see some sticky stuff on the leaves... that's honeydew, which is basically their diarrhea. It causes mildew and other problems, not to mention ants come running because they love the stuff. If you see ants, that's another signal that it's scale.

Warnold

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yes, that's got to be scale. It's an actual insect that has latched onto your tree, sunk in its proboscis and started sucking sap. They build that shell around them for protection and spend the rest of their lives there. You probably see some sticky stuff on the leaves... that's honeydew, which is basically their diarrhea. It causes mildew and other problems, not to mention ants come running because they love the stuff. If you see ants, that's another signal that it's scale.
I found these same things on my pyracantha. I picked them off, but what's the cure?
Thanks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So
I picked them off, but what's the cure?
So, some other folks can give you advice on chemicals, etc., but I will say that the "manual" approach is pretty darn effective. True story: I have a magnolia tree in my back yard that's about eight feet high -- certainly not a huge tree. Two summers ago I noticed it didn't look so good, then the spring of 2020 (when I found myself spending a bit more time at home), I figured it out. It was thoroughly infested with scale. I was working from home and throughout the season I would step outside to take a break, and when I did, I checked every inch of that tree and pulled several hundred of those bastards off it. (Admittedly, it was one of my many obsessions that arose during COVID.) Now, a year later, I'm happy to report that tree is gloriously scale-free. With all that said, I personally favor keeping a careful watch on my bonsais -- checking them daily, or at least a couple times a week -- and physically removing any of those invasive bastards. If critters get too elusive, though, I reach for some chemical assistance. Good luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
Interestingly the tree came mostly with leaves removed (more than my idea of partial defoliation more like full defoliated with the odd leaf left on some branches), it is popping new buds but now I am suspicious the seller did this to hide the sticky leaves
Thank you for the answers, on removing the first one I had the idea of scale

I removed and alcohol wiped the area clean the trunk shows no visible sign but the other one near the apex seems to have damaged at least the bark and cambium layer

This is the first trees that I have enough on my bench im fond of to have them separately quarantined so hopefully I have managed to contain it as I already have a lot of ants about with their damn aphids!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Weird
I've only seen scale on leaves not on a trunk of a tree

bluesky

Mame
Reaction score
I've had two different types of scale: large ones like you pictured above on the twigs of an oak, and tiny size scales that stick to citrus lime leaves, also to sageretia and to carmona. You see these on twigs too but I think they're scaling the tree slowly up to the newer leaves.

The small scales are a nightmare to get rid of. If you leave just one on a tree they will be back again in full force a few weeks later. Common insecticides don't seem to be effective either.

Top Bottom