Pest ID: Little flying thing and super freaky one...?

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Second one is a centipede and do not let it in the bed with you.
Fist one is very blurry to me but if it looks like an ant with a three part segmented body with wings then it’s just a swarming ant.
If it has a two part body it might be a swarming termite. The photo is too blurry to tell.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Centipedes, especially large ones, can put a nip on you, they have a venom, usually not too serious, effects are similar to wasp sting.

But centipedes bite, they do not have a tail "stinger". Their venom is in the pair of fangs, actually modified "mouth legs".

matcha_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
Do you still think ants? There were like 20 of them. This is an old tree that needs to be repotted soon.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Possibly small wasps, they may be predatory.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do they dig into the soil? if so they could be dark-winged fungus gnats, they lay eggs in the soil and their larves feed on tree roots.
I got them on some stage in my Ficus, really hard to get rid of, larves has eates nearly whole root size of the plum.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Centipedes, especially large ones, can put a nip on you, they have a venom, usually not too serious, effects are similar to wasp sting.

But centipedes bite, they do not have a tail "stinger". Their venom is in the pair of fangs, actually modified "mouth legs".
There are some long-legged varieties out here (I’ve heard different ones referred to as both centi-AND-milli-pedes)... the bluish-grey ones (Long legs) are docile.. they won’t bite.. the black more shiny ones (medium legs) WILL bite.. like a bee sting(ish)... the classic red/maroon ones (small medium legs) will bite like a wasp/hornet and leave a VERY uncomfortable “burny” rash.. but there are ALSO... HUGE red and YELLOW ones with LONG THICK legs.. and when THEY bite..it is NOT ONLY the sting and the rash.. but nausea/dizziness for a day(ish)..

🤢

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
But just like the MAJORITY of creatures.. their intent is NEVER to have to “tussle” with those loud, pink giants.

(Brown Recluses are however, FEARLESS! ...they WANT a fight!(time of year depending)

I’ve seen one “charge” a lit cigarette.... calm down, spider!

Top Bottom