Pest identification in trident maple

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi, I have done some search here and in the internet and came empty handed. I recently noticed circles being cut away in my trident. I looked over the entire tree and couldn't find anything at all. I did found a green fuzzy caterpillar eating the leaves on one of my Japanese quince, but nothing in the trident. I recently moved this tree from the pond basket into a Rootpouch, as I finally had a little time to make a small above ground bed for growing out trees and had a chance to inspect it closely, roots looked fine, no aphids or any other pest in the roots. And the branches looked fine as well.

Here are some pics to see if anyone has encountered something similar.

Trident 1.JPG Trident 1a.JPG Trident 1b.JPG trident 1c.JPG

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't know your local fauna, but leaf cutter ants can make those cuts, as do slugs and catterpillars.
The latter two come out in the evening, just before dark.
Caterpillars have reconizable poops that look like little pellets.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like leaf cutter ants or carpenter bees. The first might be a problem the second not.
In the last photo you see a bit that is half cut, that doesn't fit with caterpillars or slugs.

Carpenter bees use circles of leaves as wallpaper in there nest. The amount they use is limited. Leaf cutter abyss can eat a lot but can't fly so placing the tree on something they can't pass (such as water) solves it.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'll have to take a look, I check the trees when I let the dogs out before going to bed. That's when I noticed the caterpillar eating the quince leaves, but I have not seen any slugs or ants. I treat my backyard with The Andersons DuoCide twice a year because of ant problems in my old house... I don't want those suckers in my new home!

I am going to check today closely for ants...

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sounds like Cutter Beetles to me, a common pest of Hosta which works at night and hides in the soil in daytime. But the sons of bitches at Google default to Cutter Bees which are a minor problem, so no information on the beetles can be had even if you put quotes on. Two pages of non-response, your tax dollars at work.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You need to check them with a flashlight in the evening. It is likely caterpillars or beetles. I am leaning ever so slightly toward beetles. That would be the culprit here, but our climates are dissimilar. I little Sevin dust will handle either of them.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ok, I will get some Sevin dust from Home Depot on my way home just in case.

Thanks,

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks like leaf cutter ants or carpenter bees. The first might be a problem the second not.
In the last photo you see a bit that is half cut, that doesn't fit with caterpillars or slugs.

Carpenter bees use circles of leaves as wallpaper in there nest. The amount they use is limited. Leaf cutter abyss can eat a lot but can't fly so placing the tree on something they can't pass (such as water) solves it.
Those carpenter bees are awesome. They used to visit our wisteria a lot. Loved watching them visit!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
These have not been visible in daytime, so that means a nighttime visitor.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wouldn't you want to know what is going on before spraying toxic things where you live?
This stuff is far from harmless.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wouldn't you want to know what is going on before spraying toxic things where you live?
This stuff is far from harmless.
It's not a spray, its a powder/talk... but, coming from an island that was plagued by the hemorrhagic dengue virus, and trucks used to drive by every week spraying Zenivex, Sumithrin, DDT or whatever the hell they sprayed back then I don't think I would be too concerned about a little pesticide used according to the label.

I know, it looks barbaric to most of the people from the EU...

On a side note, I went out last night and didn't see anything, same thing this morning when I watered before leaving. I'm going to inspect the tree when I get home today to see if I notice any new damage, if so I will dust some Sevin and continue to monitor.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you object to Sevin, what's left? As long as you apply it according to label directions and not on flowers, it's pretty benign. The problem with greenie weenies is they object and never give reasonable alternatives. I don't want to hear soapy water either, that's putting it off until you forget about it. The world is full of bugs that do nothing but eat and screw and gardeners choose to protect their little corner of the world. There's plenty for bugs to eat elsewhere. Consider it population control! Greenie weenies are for that, right?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It's not a spray, its a powder/talk... but, coming from an island that was plagued by the hemorrhagic dengue virus, and trucks used to drive by every week spraying Zenivex, Sumithrin, DDT or whatever the hell they sprayed back then I don't think I would be too concerned about a little pesticide used according to the label.

I know, it looks barbaric to most of the people from the EU...

On a side note, I went out last night and didn't see anything, same thing this morning when I watered before leaving. I'm going to inspect the tree when I get home today to see if I notice any new damage, if so I will dust some Sevin and continue to monitor.
The Ddt article was interesting. Microcosm as I see it for backwards logic these days. Many more people have died by not using it apparently. So we banned it in 1972

I went to school w survival or EEE by the way 50%is chance of death) Not west nile. And gf said her friend got malaria recently in the US.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Also. My old boss Jeff chase smoke 2 packs a day for 50 years. 76ish now, and he had black market CRT degreaser marine cleaner with a banned chemical because he said it works fantastic. Loved the guy, successful marine dodger and Bimini craftsman

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The Ddt article was interesting. Microcosm as I see it for backwards logic these days. Many more people have died by not using it apparently. So we banned it in 1972

I went to school w survival or EEE by the way 50%is chance of death) Not west nile. And gf said her friend got malaria recently in the US.
it was banned in the 70's and body builders started injecting a weaker strand in the 80's as a thermogenic... go figure.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The problem with greenie weenies is they object and never give reasonable alternatives. I don't want to hear soapy water either, that's putting it off until you forget about it. The world is full of bugs that do nothing but eat and screw and gardeners choose to protect their little corner of the world. There's plenty for bugs to eat elsewhere. Consider it population control! Greenie weenies are for that, right?
I mainly think that you should check what's going on so you know A) There is a pest that needs treatment and B) What to use. I do not see what's wrong with that.

And no the worlds is not full of bugs, the number of bugs has gone down dramatically and pesticide use definitely plays a role in that.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I mainly think that you should check what's going on so you know A) There is a pest that needs treatment and B) What to use. I do not see what's wrong with that.

And no the worlds is not full of bugs, the number of bugs has gone down dramatically and pesticide use definitely plays a role in that.
then you would probably differ from me with my respect and amazement with Monsanto

i think their technology is incredible; has supported feeding the mouths of 335 million people +

case study: https://store.hbr.org/product/monsanto-helping-farmers-feed-the-world/510025

food for thought:
82.46 percent

In 2019, about 82.46 percent of the total population in the United States lived in cities and urban areas.
scary^

therefore 280 million people living in urban jungles have availability to food the way i see it, thanks to advancements by organizations like Monsanto. surely such a population couldnt sustain on farmers markets?

after a little research, it appears the international world even benefit from them, as one of Chinas rare imports appears to be food...they have 1.3 billion people, or about 4.5 times the amt of mouths we feed

anyway. maybe they could solve world hunger even

OP good luck with the maple

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They'd love to use DDT in Africa, but it's banned by WHO. Yes, it was overused in the past, just as the world ignored lead, mercury, etc., etc., in the past until technology discovered problems. That's the path of progress. We only have better ways of dealing with the world and our needs because of advances in our understanding. And there have always been Ludites screaming, "you can't do that".

Nivel

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi, I have done some search here and in the internet and came empty handed. I recently noticed circles being cut away in my trident. I looked over the entire tree and couldn't find anything at all. I did found a green fuzzy caterpillar eating the leaves on one of my Japanese quince, but nothing in the trident. I recently moved this tree from the pond basket into a Rootpouch, as I finally had a little time to make a small above ground bed for growing out trees and had a chance to inspect it closely, roots looked fine, no aphids or any other pest in the roots. And the branches looked fine as well.
This happened to me with a pomegranate, I was finding that circles cuts everyday and it was this guy. First image it is upside down with his "cutting".

bee 01.pngbee 02.png

Last edited:

GoatRider

Seed
Reaction score
Leafcutter bee taking a chunk out of one of my maple bonsai. I have mixed feelings about this. They don't take enough to hurt the tree, and I do support bees. I'm even growing a pollinator garden. I'm not likely to ever show these trees, so I'm OK with it. But if I did want to show the tree, this would be a problem.

Any idea what I could do to encourage them to work on the full size maples in my yard instead of my bonsai?

210622_leafcutter_1.JPG210622_leafcutter_2.JPG

Top Bottom