Pest/Problem causing deformed buds on Scots/Mugo pines

EPM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello everyone,
I’m trying to identify the pest/problem that is causing some odd bud growth on my Mugo and Scots pines. It started last year and is affecting all of my plants of those two species. JBP, JRP, and other pines/conifers don’t seem to be affected at all. Not every bud is deformed and many new candles are healthy. Plants are affected to varying degrees. I have a theory as to what’s causing it but would like to see what others think. Thank you in advance for your time and input. Here are some pictures:

IMG_0882.jpg
IMG_0886.jpg
IMG_0881.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
THis is caused by mites. Cannot get to the name right now. I just pull the lumps off.

Reactions: EPM

EPM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
THis is caused by mites. Cannot get to the name right now. I just pull the lumps off.
Thanks. That's my current working theory and glad that someone agrees. Are you thinking of eriophyid mites? I've been treating with pesticide but thinking I should probably remove the deformed buds as well.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
it is probably a member of that group of mites yes. I just cannot get the common name for it. I think it is something like the pinapple bud mite, but this could just be a poor translation from what I mistakinly remember as the german common name! :eek:

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
I have related question though related with Korean black pine... attached is the picture of the candle (hope good enough). I heard/read somewhere before that it's normal on JBP/KBP however as I saw this thread I thought I'll ask this question just in case. Appreciate some wisdom from smarter people than I am.

Attachments

• KBP_Candle.jpg
    KBP_Candle.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 23

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Those are reproductive parts, so yeah, pretty common to pine trees. That's where the pollen releases from, to knock up the pine cones.

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
thank you... this gives me more comfort. This particular tree was brought from Korea to China late winter this year so thought it might be result of stress as almost all candles (if not all) are like this. Candles are not extending yet... miles behind rest of my pines... so tree is stressed but looks like candles insight are having proper green color... so patiently waiting for the tree to come back on-line.

Top Bottom