Pest (tree borer) on my Logwood/Campeche :(

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was looking at my campeche yesterday inside the garage and noticed some bark feeling off. Upon closer investigation, I noticed powdery wood inside. I am mortified since I know what that means. I peeled the bark and encountered several nasty tree borer larvae :mad: They look like the ones usually hitting mesquite here and are notoriously difficult to control once started. I poked around and found another with similar "infestation".

Both trees are almost half dead (one half is dead...other half is looking healthy so far)...will need to do some carving once they recovered.

I have several others and I fear for them now. Time to put them all in imidacloprid regimen. :( I plan using both the spray (esp at the bark area) and pellet form for continues treatment/feeding.

Anyone knows a better way to control these?

View attachment 29662
View attachment 29661

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dario,

I've had luck using insecticide-soaked cotton wadding stuffed into borer holes. You leave the cotton in place for a few days. You want the vapor from the insecticide to soak through the air in the hole.

I've also had some luck by wrapping the trunk of the affected tree with plastic wrap as tightly and as air tight as possible after putting the cotton in place. I then put the tree in the sun for a day or two. The heat intesifies the effects.

Done this a couple of times on borers and a termite-infested boxwood trunk. Mostly worked, however, you should note that borers are attracted by the chemical signature given off by dead wood. They'll find it repeatedly even after treatment if they're around in the environment.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks rockm!

I will do the wrap as soon as they are out. For now, I will take them out temporarily, spray and water the soil with the solution. Will also put the soaked cotton on the few couple holes I saw. Most are just under the bark.

They are everywhere here...like bees and butterflies...sadly, I cannot do anything about that. What a bummer!

By the way, what insecticide are you using?

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely do the systemic, but that's probably for future infestations. Once the damn things have established themselves -- before systemics are used -- requires direct intervention:D. The systemic will take too long to become present in levels high enough to affect the bugs before they claim your tree.

The most effective and quick (and destructive) way to get rid of the things is to get out an ice pick (or long pointy implement) and run it up the tunnels and PULL the tunnel open using the pick or whatever as a level--exposing the bug. Squish the bug...this can quickly take its toll on the esthetics of the tree though. The poison method is second best (and less destructive).

I've been battling borers on apple and cherry bonsai for some time. They're pain to deal with.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks. As far as I can tell I probably got them all. Judging from the holes, they looked like the exit holes for the ones I squished. I can tell by the trail from the hole to where I got the buggers. That said, I want to make sure. One is actually super shallow and seems like the larvae started there then decided to go after the cambium layer.

I will probably borrow my wife's stethoscope and try to listen for any gnawing sounds...I know they can be heard from my previous encounter while woodworking. :mad:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I will probably borrow my wife's stethoscope and try to listen for any gnawing sounds...

Was reading this and imagined my neighbors seeing me on the yard with the steth listening on tree trunks...this might be the last straw and they end up calling the mental hospital!!! :eek: LOL

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Dinotefuran is even more effective if you can find it. It penetrates bark unlike other systemics.

Ben

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Was reading this and imagined my neighbors seeing me on the yard with the steth listening on tree trunks...this might be the last straw and they end up calling the mental hospital!!! :eek: LOL

Have they seen your Avatar :p You probably scare them at this point in life - The only thing that saves me from that problem is we cannot see our neighbors :rolleyes: Either way I am certain if you smush, remove, and treat the infestated areas (i like the saran wrap idea in a non-kinky way) and have the patience to let time take its course all will be well and you will have a new use for some of those dremel bits in a year or so :D

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The larva don't exit. They remain in the tree until they mature into moths. That takes a year or so. The larvae occasionally poke their head out of the holes to breathe or whatever, but they don't leave. They usually do that at twilight, so to make your neighbors even more nervous, hang out with the stethyscope, pointed stick and a headlamp at nightfall near your tree. Watch for the bugs to come out. Be ready to explain what you're doing to the police...;)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The ones I got are just under the thick bark. They tunneled there and are sealed until I peeled the bark off exposing them. The hole/tunnel before them are covered with solidified/compressed dust (I assume their poop) that turns into powder when disturbed. Since they seal the hole behind them, they cannot come out the same way. These do not surface until ready or unless their tunnel hit daylight then they go under again.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Scary looking larva. I have never seen them. Thanks for showing what they look like.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Scary looking larva. I have never seen them. Thanks for showing what they look like.

Just to clarify, those are not my pics (just found them through google) but the ones I squished are exactly like that.

They love mesquite...I guess you live far up north enough not to see any. Lucky you.

Of course I just learned that they love Campeche as well. Grrrr.

Top Bottom