Pesticide and Insecticide Safety

nover18

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Maybe I'm am one of the more paranoid people but I was wondering others thoughts on why there isn't a forum for insecticide and pesticides and using them safely. I am one that would really like to see something like this in the future. I understand that these are all different but seems like "read the label" might not be best mode of advice. There are a lot of different PPE (personal protective equipment) that have there own special applications and if used improperly can be ineffective. Is use at the levels and or concentration indicated on the label minute enough not to have an adverse effect? Just having some concerns on the safest approach to keeping pests off bonsai.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use only some Dr. Earth stuff that smells like peppermint and ass.

I think the best way to stay safe is to leave it on the shelf where it is in the store.

I got mad spiders.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
1. Keep your tables CLEAN. No old leaves, washed out soil, empty pots, standing water, etc. This will eliminate 70% of your pest problems.
2. Don't crowd your trees. Never allow canopies to touch. Leave wide spaces between trees. This applies horizontally as well as vertically. That should take care of another 15%.
3. When you must use a pesticide, apply it according to label instructions. More is NOT better. Always choose the least toxic options first and give them a chance -- soap sprays for smaller sucking insects, Bacillus thuringiensis, or Bt, powder for caterpillars and many beetles, and pyrethrum sprays applied late in the day so as not to harm too many pollinating insects. Repeat these as needed until pests are all but gone.
4. Don't try for complete elimination; good bugs die as well as the bad ones.
and finally,
5. Don't panic when you first see a few insects. A few is not an infestation. Chances are -- if you have followed good table management as above -- the good bugs will take care of them.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1. Keep your tables CLEAN. No old leaves, washed out soil, empty pots, standing water, etc. This will eliminate 70% of your pest problems.
2. Don't crowd your trees. Never allow canopies to touch. Leave wide spaces between trees. This applies horizontally as well as vertically. That should take care of another 15%.
3. When you must use a pesticide, apply it according to label instructions. More is NOT better. Always choose the least toxic options first and give them a chance -- soap sprays for smaller sucking insects, Bacillus thuringiensis, or Bt, powder for caterpillars and many beetles, and pyrethrum sprays applied late in the day so as not to harm too many pollinating insects. Repeat these as needed until pests are all but gone.
4. Don't try for complete elimination; good bugs die as well as the bad ones.
and finally,
5. Don't panic when you first see a few insects. A few is not an infestation. Chances are -- if you have followed good table management as above -- the good bugs will take care of them.

Very well put.

Everyone oughta write this down.

Sorce

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
What Jim said. And your local Agriculture Extension probably has classes and can answer all questions.

Follow label instructions exactly. Wear appropriate googles, mask, clothes and then wash your clothes properly as they have been exposed to the pesticide.

ps: Pesticide is the term for all. Insecticide is a pesticide that is specific to vulnerable insects.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Its really not rocket science. With any good company/product, the label will tell you how to use the product safely and in most if not all cases recommend PPE. If you are really worried, buy yourself some nitrile gloves at home depot and a face shield and use them whenever you work with the stuff. Also keep any pets and children out of the area until the leaves/needles are dry if you have applied something to the foliage. And as DougB mentioned, throw any clothing in the wash afterwards.

Top Bottom