pesticides/fungicides constantly needed?

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
So i'm looking to avoid having to give constant (i.e. every other week) pesticides/fungicides. Is that doable? Should I just stay away from pines other specific species if I'm looking to avoid that? I realize I may need to sometimes, but i don't want species that require continuous chemical applications. Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So i'm looking to avoid having to give constant (i.e. every other week) pesticides/fungicides. Is that doable? Should I just stay away from pines other specific species if I'm looking to avoid that? I realize I may need to sometimes, but i don't want species that require continuous chemical applications. Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks!
Why would you apply stuff when you don't need it?
Don't really understand the question--spraying all that stuff to prevent a problem is a big problem for the tree and the surrounding area. I have never heard of spraying for all that every other week on anything...

Apples and crabapples MAY be an exception to the rule. They are bug magnets.

However, doing bonsai DOES NOT really entail constant and sustained application of that stuff. Hell, I don't use insecticide at all, except when I have a bad infestation of something (which is rare--as insect attack is a symptom of a larger issue with your tree's health that insecticide won't cure ). Insecticides kill mostly everything, including predator bugs which can generally handle a lot of stuff.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You shouldn't ever just spray stuff. That being said, of you know every year you or people around you have a problem with x, then being proactive is the best course. This requires knowlage of both your anticipated pest, and the chemistry your going to use.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure about pesticides, but I've read on several sites, including this one that spraying with a fungicide in the spring can prevent fungal issues. I lost a JBP this year to needle cast. After reading more in depth about it, I wish I would have sprayed with a fungicide in the spring.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure about pesticides, but I've read on several sites, including this one that spraying with a fungicide in the spring can prevent fungal issues. I lost a JBP this year to needle cast. After reading more in depth about it, I wish I would have sprayed with a fungicide in the spring.
But only if you know you have it. Sure, you can apply it if you have no idea if you do, but isn't that a waste of money and time.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure how to quote on this forum, but I read the post by Adair M called "stop needlecast before it starts" I've learned my lesson on waiting until needlecast shows up to try to fight it. As far as time and money, it only takes me a few minutes to spray, and $15 for a fungicide compared to losing $175 for the tree I lost will be worth it to me. Pesticides I would only spray if necessary, which luckily I haven't had an issue with.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
But only if you know you have it. Sure, you can apply it if you have no idea if you do, but isn't that a waste of money and time.

Apples and crabapples MAY be an exception to the rule. They are bug magnets.

It also has a lot to do a lot with location. Here all potted fruit trees gets a mild sulphur solution to combat cedar rust and fungal problems three times a year. They all grow in FULL East West sun but it is most assuredly needed. Pesticides vary with the insect on them. Aphid season, Neem, Grasshopper, Japanese Beatles vary from year to year but are easily controlled - have not seen more then a two week envelope for pests.

Elms here benefit from the same treatments as do Azalea and Bougainvillea but for different reasons. Elms grow like Fruits here but the other two require a lot less sun an never dry - perfect setup for fungal.

However, doing bonsai DOES NOT really entail constant and sustained application of that stuff. Hell, I don't use insecticide at all, except when I have a bad infestation of something (which is rare--as insect attack is a symptom of a larger issue with your tree's health that insecticide won't cure ). Insecticides kill mostly everything, including predator bugs which can generally handle a lot of stuff.

!00% with you but as always my pesticide if needed is Neem for the little chewy bugs and my go to for the big stuff -

2d899l.jpg

Grimmy

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Fungal is the only one I would say is recommended spraying for as a preventative, but even still often times it is bad management that causes many issues in regards to fungal. Proper air circulation and watering and you should really have no issue with fungal problems 95% of the time for most plant material. Fruit trees are a different story, and a few other specific cases (keep those junipers away from pear trees), but I am coming from a horticulture background in regards to landscape and food crops in ground.

As stated earlier insect pressure many times is a symptom of overall health problems. Plants can naturally withstand and deter reasonable pest pressure (otherwise plants would not live very long). If it is getting out of hand there is likely another problem that is effecting their natural ability to fend off/handle pest pressure. Again, this is from a non-bonsai perspective. So not 100% sure how much this knowledge transfers to smaller plant material that is managed in a totally different way than in ground growing and even most potted plants. But the takeaway is healthy plants can handle most pest pressure.

IPM (Integrated Pest Management) is a pretty established healthcare program model, so to contradict everything I just said there is plenty of merit to plant material being put on a program to control pests and ensure the health of a plant. But these programs are not simply "I will spray my apple tree every two weeks with a copper based fungicide". So I do not think it would hurt. You can geek out and use local resources to view growing degree days (GDD) to anticipate when pests will be present.

Top Bottom