pests, chemicals and trees

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
last night while trying to tend my tree's i had to give up due to the most nightmareish creature on earth midge's:mad::mad:. I am unsure what to do a midge net protects my head and face but not my arms and hands:( and i worry wether repeated exposure to the chemicals in midge repellant would do harm to my tree's:confused: as only large doses of hardcore chemicals such as deet have any effect in dettering the little b**~***s. does any one else suffer from such attacks from pests while out in their garden???

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
yes, the misquitos (sp) are very bad here in Iowa. I thinks it because of all the rain in June. I feel sorry for my dog.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Not sure if midge equates to gnats, but the little Ba%$^&$S bite like crazy, don't leave you alone, and like to fly into your eyes, mosquitos, and hores flys as well.

I typically skip the spray, but sometimes you have too, flapping your arms around trying to swat some little flying bugger with pruning shears in your hand can prove to be embarrassing at the least.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I soak down with Off, but you had better rub it around, if you miss one square inch, they will find it. Here in Oklahoma, they need landing instructions. You could hold your breath, they find you when you exhale from the carbon dioxide in your breath.

keep it green,
Harry

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here in Va. (and I'm sure just about everywhere else in the humid S.E.) we have biting black deerflies AND mosquitos. I can hack the mosquitos (even the Asian tiger skeeters that bite all day long) The deerflies, however, are pure h-e-double-hockeysticks.

They will follow you for miles, biting you repeatedly, drawing blood each time. They will only be deterred by death. You have to kill them physically to stop them from biting as repellent does no good...

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I blame Noah, if he had two of all those damn pest, he should have killed them.

keep it green,
Harry

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Good grief forgot about the green head flys, these are beach dwellers, but Holy crap can they bite, and it lasts for days. Deer flys here to Mark, and you are right on the money on those.

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
Not sure if midge equates to gnats, but the little Ba%$^&$S bite like crazy, don't leave you alone, and like to fly into your eyes, mosquitos, and hores flys as well.

I typically skip the spray, but sometimes you have too, flapping your arms around trying to swat some little flying bugger with pruning shears in your hand can prove to be embarrassing at the least.

midges are similar to gnats but moe hardcore mozzies and horseflies i can deal with but midges drive me to insanity.

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
I wonder if they are the same as what people called "no-see-'ems"?

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
Midge is usually a general term used by flyfisherman to describe very small gnat like insects. Who knows what species they actually are.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
The "Skeeters" are insanely thick this year.....Non stop attacks while out watering in the evening... must be because I am soooo sweet!! haha

I think the amount of rain and cool temps all spring have aided in the huge numbers of the annoying little B@stards!!

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Try some used Bounce dryer sheets....

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Try some used Bounce dryer sheets

But they taste SO bad!

Bradeen

Seedling
Reaction score
It's a serious thing to think about it. No doubt trees are badly effected by the chemicals and pests which are commonly found in our areas in these days. We need to take some positive steps to save our plants trees and gardens from pests chemicals and other harmful things .What you think about it share your views about it.Testimonials

Last edited:
Top Bottom