Pesty Borer

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
My ponderosa pine seems to be afflicted by some borer. There's a small hole along the main trunk and all around it the bark split open. Inside, the bark has separated from the hard wood and there is a lot of wood dust everywhere. It's pretty extensive, running up and down the trunk. Any advise on how to get that bugger out...

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
A buddy of mine experienced this with a nice white pine, and he injected insecticide into the hole(s) with a syringe, and dug around carefully with dental pick. One or the other worked, then he sealed it off with wood hardener.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you can find diazanon crystals, you can use them as a systemic. It will take care of most borers, but be careful, as it's a bit toxic I think. The have banned it most places.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I had an active borer in a Sierra Juniper that i think I've gotten rid of with several applications of Bayer Tree and Shrub systemic.

Paul

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The advice given to me was Bayer Seven XLR and drench the trunks in it. I've used it on a tree with borers and it killed the buggers. I spray all trees with it after collecting.
There is a new better product out there called Astro which is pyrethrins and supposed to be more environmentally friendly to every thing but bugs. It's more money then Sevin, but is supposed to be worth it. I'd use it but can't yet get it in Canada.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for help. Here are some pictures. I'm not even sure the borer is still in there actually but it's done some serious damage, hopefully not enough to kill the tree

IMG_2946.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2941.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Borers are stealthy little pests.

In the past, I have used lindane to combat the borers with good success. Lindane is a contact type insecticide and will work well when you have an infestation.

I don't use it much anymore. I have switched to using a systemic type insecticide that contains imidacloprid. A couple of preemptive applications each year has ended my battle with the borers. Imidacloprid is sold under several different names including Bayer, Merit, and Premise.

Good luck.

Regards,
Paul

Top Bottom